nvj
Returning Member

Foreign Tax Credit TT error: Form 1116 (COPY 1): Line 33 should be blank

I'm using TT online version. When I'm ready to file, it keeps popping up "Check this entry Form 1116 (COPY 1): Line 33 should be blank". I have deleted the number (20) and the error keeps coming back and doesn't allow me to eFile without resolving it. 

I've tried the solution in https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-credits-deductions/discussion/cannot-clear-form-1116-foreign-t... but it doesn't work for me. What can I do? How do I bring up an individual tax filing form in TT to take a look?

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

I am thinking you might want to work on your taxes in a desktop version so that you can edit information on the forms directly.  This is called the "Forms mode" feature which you do not have in the online version.  To do so, click here: Online to Desktop

Or 

If you prefer to have someone take a look at your tax forms, you may consider our new product / features TurboTaxLive to file your 2019 taxes.  This way you could have one of our tax professionals to review your tax forms. 

To reach one of our tax professionals, in the TurboTax program, once you complete your taxes, before you file, you’ll be given the option for a final review of your return by one of our experts.  After they completed reviewing your return, they’ll inform you of any proposed changes.

Here are the instructions:

From <https://turbotax.response.lithium.com/console/agent/4041379?>

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
BobboSD

Deductions & credits

I am searching for a solution to this same issue and I am using the Desktop Version on a Mac and I am getting the same error that line 33 should be blank.  When I open the form 1116 it won't let me edit line 33 which the program is telling me should blank.  Any ideas?

Thanks

Bob

KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

If your passive foreign income tax is $300 or less if single or $600 or less if married, you do not file Form 1116 if the only foreign income you have is passive..  Please check and see if you have any foreign tax credit on Schedule 3, line 1.  

khart

Deductions & credits

Hi - I am experiencing the same problem. Can you please advise on how to fix this glitch with the website? The options you mention require spending money on other products...

Deductions & credits

I have the exact same problem. Even worse, when I open the form to fix the error, TT looks like it wants me to edit line 35 and not line 33 of the Form 1116. 

This seems to be a copying error for a state form and I don't even see form as an option on the left bar to try and delete it. So it seems I am unable to delete the form nor edit the error, this not able to submit my taxes with TT!!!

Deductions & credits

TT doesn't seem to allow me to delete this form. It's requiring me to fill out form 1116, even though it is not required. Do you know how to get TT to 

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

To remove Form 1116, here are the steps:

In TurboTax online,

• Sign into your account, select Pick up where you left off
  • From the left menu, select Tax Tools, click on the drop down arrow
  • Select Tools
  • Under Other helpful links, choose Delete a form
  • Select Delete next to Form 1116 and Continue with My Return

Deductions & credits

I know this thread is a bit old but...

My completed Form 1116 has an amount on line 20 of $3274 and an amount on line 32 of zero (actually line 32 is blank).  Line 33 instructions state "Enter the smaller of line 20 or line 32".  The problem is, by those instructions, line 33 should be zero however, my line 33 has the amount of $313.  What gives?