How do i add my travel (milege) expense for National Guard/work that i have not been reimbursed?

PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

Deductions & credits

Yes, you may report your unreimbursed travel expenses under Job Related Expenses & follow the prompts for National guard entries. TurboTax will handle the entries to your tax return for the best result in your situation.

The easiest way to find this section of TurboTax is to use the Search box at the top right side of the TurboTax header. Type in  "2106" and hit Enter. Click on the "jump to 2106" link to the Job-Related Expenses section.

As you reach the end of the employee business expenses section, you will arrive at a page titled, "Any Special Situation?" Answer Yes.

On the page titled, "Did Your Job Related Expenses Fall Into These Categories?", enter your expenses into the Military reservist travel expenses box.

Mileage deduction for 2016 is 54 cents per mile. Look up other years here: Standard Mileage Rate

Deductible travel expenses also include:

• Airline, train, or bus tickets
  • Automobile mileage
  • Hotel or Motel expenses
  • Meals and incidental expenses

Note: If you are a member of a reserve component of the Armed Forces of the United States and you travel more than 100 miles away from home in connection with your performance of services as a member of the reserves, you can deduct some of your travel expenses as an adjustment to gross income rather than as a miscellaneous itemized deduction. The amount of expenses you can deduct as an adjustment to gross income is limited to the regular federal per diem rate (for lodging, meals, and incidental expenses) and the standard mileage rate (for car expenses) plus any parking fees, ferry fees, and tolls. The balance, if any, is reported on Schedule A.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"