mckee123

It is indicating that I contributed too much in our HSA's than were allowed. I had a family plan to cover my daughter and my wife had a single plan?

I contributed $5600 and $1200. That is under the max allowed?

Deductions & credits

Without more specifics, it's more difficult to identify the issue. Two things come to mind. If one spouse has family HDHP and other has single HDHP, then both should indicate family coverage to get correct handling of contribution limit. Also make sure you have not made duplicate entry of any contributions listed on your W2s.

mckee123

Deductions & credits

No, this was not helpful. In addition, I paid $50 to have access to a qualified CPA and they were unable to help me. The person said he would research the issue and get back to me and he never did. I should be refunded my money.

Deductions & credits

1) what is the total amount listed on all W-2s in Box 12 Code W?

if that sums to more than $7,000 that is the problem (I assume you and spouse are under 55 years old).  This is the so called 'employer contribution'.  This number will correctly include what you had withheld from your paychecks PLUS whatever your employers kicked in. 

2) if the Code W sums to less than $7,000...... there is a question during the interview asking how much you contributed to the HSA, DO NOT INCLUDE what your employer withheld in your paycheck! only include any additional checks you may have written to the HSA administrator.   A lot of folks get tripped up on this.  This is the so called 'employee contribution'..

3) both HSAs should be listed as 'Family'... don't list one as family and the other as single.  I have the same situation and both of mine are "family"..   i do not think this will be the issue, though.  I tested this in TT and changed me to single and left spouse as family.  TT knew what to do.  i could not fake out TT to show me as over the limit. 

does that help?