MichaelJS
Returning Member

How to report tuition refund reinvested into 529 within 60 days

After paying my daughter's full Fall 2019 tuition from a 529 disbursement in August 2019, in mid-December my child's college received a delayed $3000 scholarship payment and refunded me back that amount of my tuition overpayment (and this scholarship amount is reported on the 1098-T the college sent me). I reinvested the refund back into the 529 within the allowable 60 days, however I received a 1099-Q from the 529 *before* the reinvestment was processed so it reflects an amount $3000 higher. How do I handle this situation in TurboTax so it doesn't calculate a taxable excess of non-qualified 529 disbursements? Do I enter downward-adjusted values on the 1099-Q screen (different from what is on the official form) and if so do I recalculate Earnings and Basis amounts (how?)? Or some other way? Thanks!

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

You are only required to enter the 1099-Q data into TurboTax if you need to report a taxable distribution, and you are entering it to pay that tax

In your situation, delete Form 1099-Q from TurboTax and maintain records to support the rollover to the 529 plan with your tax returns for at least (3) years.  That will provide the support that you need in the event of any questions about the rollover. 

You can refer to the Instructions to Recipient on Form 1099-Q: "Nontaxable distributions from CESAs and QTPs are not required to be reported on your income tax return. You must determine the taxability of any distribution.

Also see: Guide to IRS Form 1099-Q.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
MichaelJS
Returning Member

Deductions & credits

Thanks @SusanY1 

It would be nice if the TurboTax Deluxe program made that clearer.  The way "Guide Me" walk-through works currently it seems like entering any 1099-Q is required in all cases.  Maybe next year  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

bx
Level 2

Deductions & credits

Many colleges have closed dorms due to COVID-19 for the balance of the Spring 2020 semester and may be refunding a portion of room and board. If the room/board were billed in 2019 (for Spring 2020) paid with a 529 plan in 2019, but the credit is issued in 2020, how is that handled?  If the money is re-contributed to the 529 plan in 2020, will a new 1099 Q be issued for 2019?  

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

No, the 2019 1099-Q won't be adjusted nor re-issued.

You can recontribute the refunded amount. 

You can still claim the room and board expense towards the distribution, or report that the amount was rolled back into the account. 

According to the IRS:

"If a student receives a refund of qualified education expenses that were treated as paid by a QTP distribution, the student can recontribute these amounts into any QTP for which they are the beneficiary within 60 days after the date of the refund to avoid the need to figure the taxable part of the QTP distribution."

"Refunds received after 2019 but before your income tax return is filed. If anyone receives a refund after 2019 of qualified education expenses paid on behalf of a student in 2019 and the refund is paid before you file an income tax return for 2019, the amount of qualified education expenses for 2019 is reduced by the amount of the refund."

bx
Level 2

Deductions & credits

In this situation, what if the refund/recontribution didn't happen until 2020.  Is the recontribution considered a 2019 or 2020 event for 529 record keeping?

Hal_Al
Level 15

Deductions & credits

Simple answer: 2019.

It's the 2019 Distribution (documented by a 1099-Q) that you need to account for.  But a more general answer is: you need to have a running accounting of the 529 plan for the duration of your student's college years.

Deductions & credits

My daughter received a refund from her college (housing) and deposited it in her checking account. How does she report that income for her taxes? I see nothing to indicate how to report this tax situation. 

Hal_Al
Level 15

Deductions & credits

Q. My daughter received a refund from her college (housing) and deposited it in her checking account. How does she report that income for her taxes?

A.  What you described does not constitute taxable income. Getting a refund from college is no different from getting a refund from Walmart for returned merchandise.

What's the rest of the story? For example, was the housing paid by scholarship? Even then, it's not the refund that makes it taxable. It's the fact that room & board are non qualified expenses for tax free scholarship. 

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

Was this originally paid through a 529 account and if so, which year did she take the distribution and which year did she receive the refund? 

Deductions & credits

The money came because we paid for the housing twice.  Once from my father and once from ourselves (wife and I). 

Deductions & credits

We paid for housing out of pocket. Our 529 plan does not cover room and board.

SharonD007
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

If the funds that were refunded were not paid from a 529 Plan or scholarship, your daughter does not need to report the refund as income.  If the refund was originally paid with funds from a 529 Plan and not reinvested, the person who received the 1099-Q may need to report a portion as an excess withdrawal.  Please let us know if that is the case so we can assist you with reporting.

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

If the refund was from "out-of-pocket" funds, there is no reporting requirement for the student or you. 

@supplyside 

Deductions & credits

My child used her 529 to pay for qualified college expenses in November of 2022 for the Winter (Jan-April) semester of 2023.  Due to medical reasons, she dropped out of school and got a full refund of her tuition. I was told part of the refund ($740.48) was for meals (we did not use the 529) for this.  Well, learned today that the entire refund was for tuition. We sent 90% of the money back to the 529 within the 60-day recontribution period. $740.48 was not returned due to the wrong information given to us--thinking this was meal money not yet reimbursed out of the 529.

Now, I know we owe tax on the earnings part of this $740.48. I have calculated that we owe tax on just $215 (the earnings part of the $740.48). Where do I enter this $215.00 taxable income?  We did not get a 1099-Q this (2023) year.  The 1098T for 2023 just has the tuition refund for winter 2023 in box 4--rest of form is blank.  

I put the $215.00 under miscellaneous income (Under Less Common Income).  Is this correct?  Will I be able to attach an explanation to this number via a statement somewhere?  Did I enter this taxable ($215) value in the correct location?

Thank you!