QBI added, vehicle registration missing

On my deduction and credit summary, there is an amount for QBI ($23) which I have never had before and did not enter.  My vehicle registration of $407 is missing though going back is shown as having been entered.  

Is this a bug?

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Deductions & credits

The QBI deduction was new last year.  You do not enter it, TurboTax calculates it based on your entries.  You can click that link for more info about the deduction.  You may have 2 entries for vehicle registration - one that you did enter and one that is blank.  Type car registration into the search bar, press enter, and use the Jump to car registration link to go back through those entries. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Deductions & credits

Thanks, good answers, but I don't think relevant in my case.  I am retired (for 23 years) and have no business income unless my portfolio income qualifies as a business.  It is not identified as such and is simply personal investments.  Don't understand in the terms of the definitions of QBI that I read how I would fit in in any way. 

I checked the vehicle registration input and there is only one line with the correct information, but it does not carry forward, so it has to be something else.  Since both items appeared on the same page, I am always looking for a relationship to the two anomalies (not a conspiracy guy, honest)

DeanM15
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

In some cases, your portfolio income can come in under the QBI or Section 199A deduction. QBI can come into your return on 1099DIVs, Schedule K1s and Rental Income, to name just a few. 

If you have a QBI amount that you are not sure of, I would check box 5 of your 1099DIVs first. These are called Section 199A dividends which is another fancy way of saying QBI. If you have Schedule K1s, I would check those as well, most likely under Box 13 if it is a Partners K1 or Box 12 is a Subchapter S K1.

You can read more about Section 199A/QBI deductions here and here.

View solution in original post

Deductions & credits

Bingo! 

But who in congress equates a retirement portfolio dividend with an S corporation? (That was a rhetorical question)

That explains the QBI problem and probably means it is not related to the vehicle registration problem. 

DEE330

Deductions & credits

My vehicle registration is missing, also.   Glitch in the program?????

I'm not sending in the 1040 until I get an answer for  this...

DEE330

Deductions & credits

The vehicle registration amount falls under the standard deduction.  Therefore, not itemized.

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Deductions & credits

You can enter vehicle registration amounts and they will show as an itemized deduction on Schedule A.  Of course if itemized deductions do not exceed the standard deduction then most taxpayers will choose the standard deduction and the Schedule A will not be submitted.  Here is a link with discussion.