Tax Year Prior to 2020: Form 8936 (2019)

When will form 8936 be available on TurboTax for 2019 filings?

Deductions & credits

Form 8936, Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit - Estimated available 02/05/2020, subject to change.

Deductions & credits

The webpage says that the form is now available but my Turbotax which just updated says that the form isnt ready yet? How long does it take to integrate a form into turbotax?

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

Form 8936, Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit - Estimated available 02/05/2020, subject to change.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Deductions & credits

At first it was Jan 23rd.

Then it was Feb 5th. 

And now when I check it, its Feb 12th. 

Makes me SICK, I NEED my my $5000 return, dont tell me one thing and then do another. Not cool or acceptable. Nothing is more frustrating then seeing others get their returns while you cant do anything but pray that your form will become available. 

Deductions & credits

Other companies show 8936 forms are up to date and available. Ok seriously slick side ring jumping ship this year after 10+ years with TurboTax. 

Deductions & credits

Dear TurboTax. This year I switched to HR Block because they had this form ready. I’ve had fraud in the past so I like to file ASAP. I know the form 8936 was released by IRS on 1/29 and I’m not willing to wait u til 2/12. As a customer I felt it was unacceptable and this year I voted with my money and went elsewhere. 

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

Hello all, 

The fact that the forms are available on the IRS website has nothing to do with any tax software program.  The forms are available if you are going to download from the IRS to complete it on your own.  However, e-filing is different.  Once the form is finalized by the IRS, it has to be coded into the special language the software uses and has to be thoroughly tested for calculations and e-filing acceptability.  IRS then has to approve it for e-file.  It always takes a little longer for a form to become available for e-file in a software program.  I hope this helps you understand the situation.  At this point, the IRS expects to approve the form 8936 on TurboTax e-file as  02/05/2020.  I truly understand your frustration and thank you for your patience.

@pdcolemanjr @Juggar @Cpuwhiz83

Deductions & credits

Turbo tax now says 2/12/2020. Goodbye turbo tax! Other have it available. I expect a refund of the money spent on your product! Changing when this form would be available 3 times is unacceptable!

Deductions & credits

It now says 

Form 8936 Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit is now ready can TurboTax update the site so I can file? https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8936.pdf

13 helpful votes
Recommended Answer

Availability date is 2/7/2019.

E-fileing does not use paper forms - it transmits encrypted data in the exact format specified by the IRS or the IRS could not read it. The IRS first finalizes then paper form, then writes the e-file specifications and gives that to e-file providers to develop their software. Then the IRS must test with the e-file providers and approve the electronic forms before they can be released so that both ends are compatible. That process usually takes several weeks after the paper version has been released.

By: macuser_22 SuperUser

Deductions & credits

@Kershen No it is not yet available.  The dates have changed.

Form 8936, Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit -  Estimated date available 02/12/2020

https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotax_fed_online_individual.html

Deductions & credits

Is the 8936 EV rebate form included in the 1019 tax package?

Deductions & credits

I just used H&R to file since they have form 8936 for some time now. If they have it you have no excuse not to!

Deductions & credits

Turbo Tax told me I can't E-file with form 8936 as I need to submit the original Elect New Car Cert to confirm I'm entitled to the tax credit.

How do I do that via E-file?

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

This form is not available until 2/12/2020.

The fact that the forms are available on the IRS website has nothing to do with any tax software program.  The forms are available if you are going to download from the IRS to complete it on your own.  However, e-filing is different.  Once the form is finalized by the IRS, it has to be coded into the special language the software uses and has to be thoroughly tested for calculations and e-filing acceptability.  IRS then has to approve it for e-file.  It always takes a little longer for a form to become available for e-file in a software program.  I hope this helps you understand the situation.  At this point, the IRS expects to approve the form 8936 on TurboTax e-file as  02/12/2020.  I truly understand your frustration and thank you for your patience.