I believe form 8889, Part 1 is being processed incorrectly. Lines 2-13 specifically as it relates to the HSA contributions and the computed HSA Deduction. anyone else?

Deductions & credits

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8889.pdf    Look at the form here since TTax doesn't allow you to actually see the forms on-line.    With family coverage and under age 55, you enter $7000 on line 3.  Simple.  Then, you subtract the distributions you took out on line 11 and the difference between those two is the "HSA Deduction" you get, which reduces your Gross Income by that amount.      This is simple on the IRS form, but Turbo Tax On-line isn't adjusting down my gross income by this HSA Deduction amount and I don't know why.     I don't want to pay $125 for Premier support so I hope someone see this and can help find either my error, or Turbo Taxes error.  

dmertz
Level 15

Deductions & credits

TurboTax prepares Form 8889 correctly.

You do not receive a deduction for any amounts you contributed through your employer or by an HSA Funding Distribution from an IRA.  Any amounts contributed through your employer (code W in box 12 of your W-2) have already been excluded by your employer from the amount in boxes 1, 3 and 5 of your W-2, so you don't get to deduct that again.  Any amount contributed by HFD is already pre-tax money.

davissara
Returning Member

Deductions & credits

I am having this same problem, desperately seeking answers on why line 2 automatically fills out as 0 when I have contributions. This should trigger a schedule 1 for adjustment to income and it does not. Please help!

davissara
Returning Member

Deductions & credits

wait I think I get it now...line 9 was already taken out of wages pre-tax, so I can't use this number again as an adjustment to income