I can claim the MCC credit. Does Turbo Tax reduce the amount of mortgage interest claimed as a deduction by the amount of the MCC credit or do I do it manually?

My understanding is that if I can claim 20% of my mortgage interest as an MCC credit, then I can only claim 80% of my mortgage interest as a deduction.  Does TurboTax make that adjustment or do I manually reduce the interest (so it differs from the 1098 form)?
NicoleR

Deductions & credits

Once the MCC (Mortgage Credit Certificate) and Mortgage Interest is entered into TurboTax at the full amounts the program will reduce the deductible mortgage interest by the amount of the non-refundable MCC.

The adjustments are automatic.  It does not appear to matter which order you put them in.  Either the Mortgage interest first or the MCC first as long as they are both entered.

If you need specific directions on how to enter either of them, please comment and I will gladly add the directions with screenshots to this answer.

View solution in original post

jeray81

Deductions & credits

Any chance you can post the instructions on how to file the MCC?

Deductions & credits

Yes please post as hnr charged me alot last year to do my mcc paper work
gbacic1

Deductions & credits

I HAVE THE EXACT SAME QUESTION!!!!!!!!! ANY HELP???

Deductions & credits

how can I know, how much credit rate of my MCC?
akyjry
Returning Member

Deductions & credits

Had the same issue last year. The rep went through and said it was an issue on their end- something was not placed proper space. I dont remember what we did to correct it. Please help me.

Angelia Young

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Deductions & credits

Enter the Mortgage Credit Certificate under the "Deductions & Credits" tab.

1.  Click "Deductions & Credits" at the top of the page

2.  Scroll down to "Your Home"

3.  Click "Show More"

4.  Find the "Mortgage Credit Certificate" 

5.  Click "Start/Revisit"

If you itemize deductions you will also go back to the "Your Home" area to find the "Mortgage Interest... form 1098" entry area.  TurboTax will calculate the remaining interest deduction based on the MCC entries.  Just enter the form 1098 amounts exactly from your form.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"