JYD1
Level 1

Why can't I efile amended California return?

Previously, I managed to efile both my federal and California returns just fine. Today, I tried to amend them. I made it to the final step of submitting them. But while I was allowed to efile the federal amended return, the TurboTax system says I need to print and mail the California amended return.

I checked the California Franchise Tax Board website and it specifically says submitting amended returns online is allowed. So why can't I efile?

Thank you

State tax filing

call TurboTax support. however, my guess is that the TurboTax app is not set up to allow e-filing of amended returns with Ca. 

CELECTRONICA
Returning Member

State tax filing

APPARENTLY TURBO TAX IS BEHIND UPDATING ITS SOFTWARE FOR EFILE OF AMENDED TAXES!!!!!

HELP HELP 

DOES ANYBODY KNOW OF ANOTHER TAX PREPARATION SOFTWARE OR EVEN AN ONLINE SITE SO I CAN EFILE MY CALIFORNIA AMENDED TAXES FOR 2020.

CELECTRONICA
Returning Member

State tax filing

YOUR RIGHT  TURBO TAX IS BEHIND UPDATING ITS SOFTWARE, BUT THERE MUST BE ANOTHER WAY. ALL IT IS TO UPLOAD THE DOCUMENTS!!

State tax filing

Just because efiling of amended returns may be allowed by CA doesn't mean that ALL income tax programs allow it so if you are not given that option in the FILE tab to efile the CA return then it cannot be done thru the TT system.  

TomD8
Level 15

State tax filing

The TurboTax instructions for an amended California return say to print and mail the return.  So clearly TT is not set up to e-file those returns.

How to amend a California state return in TurboTax... (intuit.com)

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.