How do I get the New Exclusion of up to $10,200 of Unemployment Compensation in turbotax?

I haven't filed yet and need to figure out how to put this in there.

State tax filing

For online versions just enter your 1099-G.

For desktop versions wait for the software update to include the changes.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

State tax filing

The TurboTax online software is updated to reflect the exclusion of up to $10,200.

First, you must enter your 1099-G. To do so, please follow the instructions below:

1. Open or continue your tax return in TurboTax.
  2. Search for unemployment compensation and select the Jump to link.
  3. On the Did you receive unemployment or paid family leave benefits in 2020? screen, answer Yes.
  4. Follow the instructions to enter your unemployment.

Then, you can confirm it was removed by following the instructions below:

1. Click on Tax Tools.
  2. Click on Tools.
  3. Click View Tax Summary.
  4. Click on Preview my 1040.
  5. Scroll down to Schedule 1, Part 1. You will see your unemployment on Line 7 and the deduction of up to $10,200 on Line 8.

I have attached a picture below for additional guidance.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

State tax filing

So i checked and it's not showing any number in box 7. I went through and put in my 1099-G and double checked and still not showing up with anything. How do I fix that?

gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

State tax filing

Make sure that your version has been updated.  

Unemployment compensation is taxable on your federal return.  Enter your 1099G for unemployment in Federal>Wages and Income>Unemployment

Go through the screens very carefully to enter any federal/state tax you had withheld from the unemployment

For additional information please refer to the following link

how do I enter unemployment

State tax filing

Has the disk top version, disc, been undated to include the $10,200 exclusion. 

I have entered my unemployment information, 1099-G, and it is showing, but I have not gotten the credit.  I am using the Premier version

PattiF
Expert Alumni

State tax filing

The exclusion of $10,200 of Unemployment Compensation was for the tax year 2020 only.  If you are working on the 2021 tax return, you can't exclude Unemployment Compensation from your income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"