Bianca18

Live and work in 2 states

I am a Michigan resident but I go to college in Tennessee. I'm not sure which state I need to file taxes for. All of my employers for 2020 were in Tennessee, but I received Michigan unemployment for 2 months. @I need to file my state tax 

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

State tax filing

If your permanent home is in Michigan (you intend to return there after college), then your time in TN is considered a temporary absence.   In this case, you are a full-year resident of Michigan and a non-resident of TN.   As a non-resident of TN - Military personnel and full-time students having legal domicile in another state are not required to file.

In the Personal Info (My Info) section, you would indicate that you are a MI resident and that you earned income in another state, TN.   Even though TN does not have a state income tax (other than interest and dividends), your resident state (MI) will tax you on all of your income.   But, you only need to file the one resident state return (MI).   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
TomD8
Level 15

State tax filing

Tennessee taxes only interest and dividends  It does not tax other kinds of income.  So you only need to file a Michigan tax return.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.