josh53

My W-2 has my current state of residency, starting June 2020. State filing is asking for what i earned in my previous state, which isn't on my W-2. How do I figure wages?

As I'm going through my state filing, I put in the dates of 1/1/20-6/16/20 for my dates as a resident in my previous state. I'm then shown my federal total and asked to enter my state total for "Wages, Salaries, Tips, etc" I'm not sure what I put here, as my W-2 only includes my state earnings in my new state.  Do I subtract the total Federal from what i earned in my new state?
TomD8
Level 15

State tax filing

Were you employed in your previous state?  If so, you should request a W-2 from your previous employer.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
josh53

State tax filing

I was employed in my previous state with the same employer.   The only thing that changed is my state of residency half-way through 2020.  I should only have one W-2 form with the same employer, but it only includes my current state info in box 16, not the previous state's info. 

TomD8
Level 15

State tax filing

Does Box 1 of your W2 show your full year's income?

Was your previous state possibly a no-income-tax state?

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
josh53

State tax filing

Box 1 does show my full year's wages correctly.

Box 16 only contains about half of my total wages - box 15 has my new state.

Looking back at my 2019 W-2, box 16 matched my full federal wagers from box 1. 

Based on this, I would assume that when reporting my previous state wages, I would subtract whats in my current box 16 from the total federal from box 1? 

josh53

State tax filing

Nevermind - there's ANOTHER copy of the  W-2 included that has the previous state in box 16. *slaps forehead* I didn't see that!  

I think I'm all set! 🙂