whitpax20

Husband is a union working and obviously works in several states. So do we need to file a state return for all of these different states! Or just the one in which we are a resident?

State tax filing

is he an employee or an independent contractor.  his union status is not relevant. 

State tax filing

Or by "union worker" did you mean he is employed by the union and visits various states to represent union members in those states?

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
whitpax20

State tax filing

I know it's irrelevant- the point is he travels state to state frequently. I cannot remember what our CPA used to do if we filed every single state return or just our one we live in. 

TomD8
Level 15

State tax filing

Is your husband perhaps employed as an OTR truckdriver?  If so, Public Law 101-322, Sec. 7(b)(1) provides that, if he has assigned duties in 2 or more states,  his pay is subject to state income tax only by his state of residence.

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/STATUTE-104/pdf/STATUTE-104-Pg295.pdf

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.