Texas requires me to live in a state for 12 months before declaring residency. but turbo tax asks me when I became a resident. how do i become a resident?

State tax filing

What are you trying to do?  TX has no state income tax.  The software is trying to find out where you lived and/or worked in 2020 in case you need to file a part year tax return for another state you lived in for part of the year before you moved to Texas.  And if you live in Texas now, you need to use your Texas address on your federal tax return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

State tax filing

There are certain 12-month residency requirements in order for a person to get to use in-state tuition at TX state universities.  But you'd have to check with your University Registrar's office to determine the specific details....especially if you are a dependent whose parents live out of TX, the residency rules for getting in-state tuition apply to the parents in that case.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
Hal_Al
Level 15

State tax filing

Residency rules for income tax purposes may not be the same as the rules for other residency purposes (e.g. instate tuition).

In Turbotax, you put the date you physically moved to TX.

That said, what's going on? That is, what are the details of your move?  Did you move to TX for school? Do you maintain a residence back in the old state, e.g. your parent's home?  Mostly, do you intend to return to the old state?