DonQ
Returning Member

State tax filing

That's terrific information, thank you.  

One other piece of the puzzle.  I have some consulting income (1099) paid to me monthly throughout the entire year.  The company that pays me is headquartered in Illinois.  Does that income get split between Illinois and Arizona based upon my official beginning work in Arizona date?  Keep in mind, I have two residences, the new Arizona residence, plus the residence where my wife and kids live until they can move to Arizona after the school year.  What do I do with full-year consulting income that is additional to my regular job income?  The regular job (W2s) splits out easily, but the consulting income from the company in Illinois spans the entire year.  Would I mark it as Illinois income because it is paid out of Illinois work or would it be split based upon where my permanent job is?  As 'married filing separately' my wife's income in IL can be her own on her own state return for IL.  But where would my consulting income go since it spans the whole year?  Just Illinois, where it is technically earned or do I have to do the breakout and give Arizona a piece of, and then possibly California too though none of it is earned there?