hansue555

If I live in Florida and worked in Pennsylvania, how do I receive a return of taxes from Pennsylvania or Florida to avoid double taxation?

- Do I ask for a credit or return from Florida (a state where I live) or from Pennsylvania (a state where I worked)?
- What is the form I have to file?

State tax filing

@hansue555 wrote:
- Do I ask for a credit or return from Florida (a state where I live) or from Pennsylvania (a state where I worked)?

It is definitely not Florida since Florida does not levy a state individual income tax; there is no individual income tax form to send to the State of Florida.

If you need to file a Pennsylvania return, you can purchase that state from within the TurboTax program (assuming a free state was not included with your version of TurboTax).

View solution in original post

Hal_Al
Level 15

State tax filing

The general rule is: your report all your income on your home state return, even the income earned out of state. You file a non-resident state return for the state you worked in and pay tax to that state. Your home state will give you a credit, or partial credit, for what you paid the non-resident state. You will have to file a non resident PA state return and pay PA tax on the income earned there.

Since FL does not have an income tax, you do not have a resident return to file.  So, there will be no offsetting credit for the PA tax paid. 

The question you didn't ask is "will PA consider you a resident for tax purposes?"  That depends on the circumstances of how and why you are working there but consider yourself a FL resident. See https://www.revenue.pa.gov/FormsandPublications/FormsforIndividuals/PIT/Documents/rev-611.pdf

TomD8
Level 15

State tax filing

Just to clarify, the income you earned from work you carried out in PA is 100% taxable by PA, regardless of whether you are a non-resident or a statutory resident of PA.

The reference provided by @Hal_Al explains "statutory" residency.

There is no "double taxation" because Florida has no income tax.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.