Local taxes

This is the first time I have ever ran across this, but the current city I work in is 1.5% and the municipality I live in is 1% but they only allow a credit of .5% of the 1% liability.  Is this legal?  I would understand if I moved to a community that was 2% and only had 1.5% that I make up the .5% but never heard of only giving a partial of the local as credit.

Anonymous
Not applicable

State tax filing

see a lawyer. our opinion doesn't really matter. if I had to guess I would say it's legal. 

View solution in original post

State tax filing

Thanks and after more digging it appears that this is now becoming the norm for even more than bedroom communities.

State tax filing

@sbaltzer You did not mention where you live and work.  The situation you describe is entirely possible.  I prepare a tax return every year for a relative in Ohio who works in an Ohio town that has a 1% income tax that is withheld from his pay; he lives in a town that has a 2% income tax. The town he lives in gives credit for the 1% he paid already, and he ends up paying 1% to the town where he lives. He pays it quarterly to avoid a big bill at tax time.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

State tax filing

Thanks @xmasbaby0 , I live in Beach City, OH (1%) and Work in Dover, OH (1.5%).  I have also dug a little deeper and found that other municipalities are doing the same double taxing also so now I just have to plan for that additional .5% to pay next year.