gautamdeo
Returning Member

Cannot download my 2016 tax return

Hello TT Help,

I have gotten an inquiry on 2016 state tax return and want to access my tax return for 2016 which I had filed through TT. 

I tried to login but cannot find a way to download the return.

Your support line is totally useless as I went in circles for 2 hrs.

Much help is appreciated here. 

Thanks,

Gautam

State tax filing

You have to sign onto your 2016 online account using the exact same User ID you used to create the online account.

Close all TurboTax windows on your web browser (including this one).  Copy and paste the account recovery website link onto a new web browser window and run the tool.

Use this TurboTax account recovery website to get a list of all the User ID's for an email address.  Run the tool against any email addresses you may have used - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/account-recovery

If none of the user ID's received will access your 2016 account, then use the option shown in blue on the account recovery website, "Try something else"

If you used the desktop CD/Download editions installed on your computer, the only copy of your tax data file and any PDF's will be on the computer where the return was created.  TurboTax does not store online any returns completed using the desktop editions.

To access your current or prior year tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and on the section Your tax returns & documents click on Show.  Click on the Year and Click on Download/print return (PDF)

gautamdeo
Returning Member

State tax filing

Did not work. It sends me to the page  that says - 

Download your past TurboTax returns

Download your past TurboTax returns

Looks like you didn't file with us last year or you filed using a TurboTax product that doesn't include access to prior-year returns.

To download your prior-year TurboTax returns, just get started with your 2019 tax return in the TurboTax product that's right for you.

Select a product on Tax Home

This is super frustrating.

State tax filing

@ gautamdeo wrote:

Did not work. It sends me to the page  that says - 

Looks like you didn't file with us last year or you filed using a TurboTax product that doesn't include access to prior-year returns.

First of all, did you prepare the return in Online TurboTax?   Any return prepared in desktop software (CD/download) will not be in a online account.

So if you did indeed use Online TurboTax for the 2016 return, when you log in, at the Tax Home scroll down to a section called "Your Tax Returns & Documents".   Expand that section and see if tax year 2016 is listed.  If so, click 2016 then choose "download/print the PDF."  If there is no evidence of a 2016 return in that account in the section "Your Tax Returns & Documents," then it sounds like you may not be in the right account.    

If you followed the steps DoninGA left you above and didn't completely clean up the browser first, you may have been in a loop.   So I'm going to give you the instructions again, but pay careful attention to the steps in the bold NOTE below about logging out and cleaning the browser (or use a different one that is also cleaned).

Many people end up with multiple accounts without realizing it.   Here's how to troubleshoot for multiple accounts (User IDs) :

You can have up to 5 accounts that use the same email address for notification purposes.  A User ID may be an email address, but it doesn't have to be.  It might be only part of an email address, or it can be anything at all.

To get a list of your User IDs and recover account access, you can use the tool at the link below.  When using the Account Recovery tool, try using your phone number first.   After that, if necessary, then run the tool on your email address(es) you can access.

NOTE: Before running the account recovery tool below, log out of all Intuit accounts including this user forum, or you might end up in a loop.  Then clear your browser Internet cache, close your browser, then reopen it, and go to the link below.  You may wish to copy this link so you can paste it into the new browser session.

https://myturbotax.intuit.com/account-recovery

If still no luck after running that on your phone number and email address(es) that you can access,  here's another method:

Go back to the tool again, but this time leave the data field blank, and choose the small blue link that says "Try something else", and it will look you up by SSN and other parameters.

If you still can't find the right account, here's how to phone TurboTax Support on Monday:

Hours are 5AM-5PM Pacific (8AM-8 PM Eastern) Monday-Friday.

FAQ: What is the TurboTax phone number?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

Or use this contact form:
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

State tax filing

@gautamdeo 

I added an additional paragraph to my answer above to be sure you are looking for the 2016 return in the correct manner once you are logged in.   This is what I added:

If you did indeed use Online TurboTax for the 2016 return, when you log in, at the Tax Home scroll down to a section called "Your Tax Returns & Documents".   Expand that section and see if tax year 2016 is listed.  If so, click 2016 then choose "download/print the PDF."  If there is no evidence of a 2016 return in that section "Your Tax Returns & Documents," then it sounds like you may not be in the right account.    If that's the case, then see my detailed answer above.

State tax filing

@gautamdeo 

Also, have you already started and prepared a 2019 return in Online TurboTax?  If so, you should not have received a page with the message asking you to select a product and start a 2019 return unless you are in the wrong account.

gautamdeo
Returning Member

State tax filing

Tried all the options. I just have one account. This still does not work. Just frustrated customer. No good customer support.

State tax filing

Always print a copy of your completed tax return for your records, and review it carefully before e-Filing.
You will need it if you are audited by the IRS (or State), or to amend if a TurboTax update changes your return or for any other reason.
AND, to find your AGI next year.

Keep the copy for at least seven years.