Mandatory e-Pay for individuals in California

Hi:

Just got a letter from California Franchise Tax Board, saying that I need to pay all my future tax payments electronically on their website and I also found this online:

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/pay/mandatory-e-pay.html

Just for 2019, I already filed the return and made the payment for all the tax due electronically with TurboTax in July 2020, so my question is that, do I need to do anything regarding this "Mandatory e-pay"? 

Thanks.

Baozi

State tax filing

Just to be clear, I'm just wondering whether I need to do anything only for 2019 tax (for which the payment has already been made)?

I understand that, for future tax years, such as 2020 and 2021,  I need to pay the tax due electronically.

State tax filing

Going forward all future payments should be made online as requested ... nothing you can change on payments already made. 

State tax filing

Thank you! actually can I still make payments with TurboTax for the future, as what I have been doing - would that be counted as "paid online"? Thanks.

State tax filing

Yes it is .... the notice you posted  say so ...

1.png

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

State tax filing

did you read the WHOLE notice?  e-payments are only required when that amount is 

Electronic payments are required if you either:

Make an estimated tax or extension payment over $20,000
File an original return with a tax liability over $80,000

then you can also see if you can get a waiver

Waiver request
To submit a request:

Download the waiver request form
Complete, print, and send your request with the required documentation
Fax
(916) 843-0468
Mail
State of California
Franchise Tax Board
PO Box 942840
Sacramento CA 94240-0040

and what's a taxpayer suppose to do if no bank account or credit card. 

LesHalles

State tax filing

Hi Baozi, 

Did you end up figuring out what you are supposed to do?  The responses to your post do not appear helpful, just snarky comments.  I'm in the same boat as you, and similarly wonder if we can continue to use TurboTax and the only difference is at the submission step (electronic versus in hardcopy), or if the mandatory e-payment needs to be submitted earlier (e.g., quarterly, like for federal tax purposes).   Any experience and insight you can share would be greatly appreciated.  

By the way, don't know if you also went down this path, but the ftb.ca.gov website is a disaster.  On the page to choose the payment type, there's simply no choice for mandatory e-payment.  

Thanks in advance, 

State tax filing

The original post is 2 years old, so OP may not even see your follow up.

For those taxpayers that do not have a bank account or credit card, they can use cash to buy a prepaid (debit) card at a store; or apply for a waiver from the State.  The FTB website has a link to Mandatory E-Pay.

State tax filing

@LesHalles 

Hi, LesHalles

Did you figure it out? I have the same situation.

I think TurboTax says they will handle it at the payment step. So I guess I can just follow TurboTax instruction... 

(though it showed up the mailing check as an option)

Vanessa A
Employee Tax Expert

State tax filing

The mandatory e-pay allows you to pay through TurboTax when you e-file or you can also pay directly to the state of California on their California E-Pay Website.  If you visit that site, you can also click on the link to pay by phone with a credit card.  There is also a way you can request a waiver from e-pay if you need to pay by check listed on that site. 

Electronic payments are required if you either:

• Make an estimated tax or extension payment over $20,000
  • File an original return with a tax liability over $80,000

If neither of the above apply to you, then you do not fall under the mandatory e-pay requirements.

@lestathc 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"