New York (NY) Part-Year resident getting error on IT 360.1 TP for HSA Other Income

Hi there,

I'm running into an issue when filing for New York (NY) state tax as a part-year resident with HSA contribution counted as Other Income.

Context:

I contributed to my HSA in 2018 and the beginning of 2019 while I lived in California (CA). Then I moved to New York (NY) and stopped contributing, instead, I took a distribution for medical expenses.

I have two W-2s with the following breakdown:

• Federal and CA state copy list HSA contribution in Box 12b as W $660
  • My NY state copy does not list HSA

Info in TurboTax:

Federal - I entered my W2 federal with HSA as stated in Box 12b. It shows my total income. Under Federal -> Wages & Income it has $885 (distribution I took out) next to 1099-SA, HSA, MSA. When I clicked into 1099-SA, HSA, MSA, it shows

HSA Summary

Deduction $0

Total distributions $885

Taxable distributions $0

Taxable earnings on excess contributions $0

Tax-free employer contributions $660

Excess employer contributions withdrawn $0

I have no issue filing federal tax return.

California part-year resident - There is this message

"About your HSA contribution

We’ve calculated an addition to your California income in the amount of $660 for contributions made to your HSA by your employer. This is the portion of the contritions that was not included in income on your federal return. California does not allow you to exclude employer contributions from income. The amount can generally be found on Form W-2, Box 12, but could also be reported separately."

Next page shows:

"Here's the income that California handles differently...

HSA Contributions $660". When it asked about income, I split my income according to the Wages, Tips, and Compensation listed in my W2.

Again, I have issues filing my California tax return.

New York (NY) part-year resident - I entered my income as it's stated in W2 NY State copy. No questions about HSA. Then when I try to file, I have one error to fix with the following message.

"IT-360.1 TP -- Change of City Resident Status Stmt - TP: Total Other Inc, Federal -- The amounts entered in Column A of the Line 15 - Other Income Worksheet do not agree with the total transferred from the Income Allocation Worksheet to Line 15 Column A. Above line(s) should total $0."

The form lists HSA $660 in life 15 column A as Federal Other Income and a total other income cell. This total other income cell I can modify but it shows $660. 

Problem:

Please help me understand and resolve this problem. I feel I am going in circles and do not understand the error. Can someone please explain and provide a solution?

Thank you!

BillM223
Expert Alumni

State tax filing

First, the state of California does not recognize HSA contributions as deductible.

You evidently have an entry of $660 in box 12 on your W-2 with a code of W. These are HSA contributions made through your employer (either by your employer or by you by payroll deduction).

As you note, this amount is removed from Wages in boxes 1, 3, and 5 before your W-2 is printed. This is why it is a federal tax benefit - you don't even report it as income.

California automatically adds this amount back to state income. This is correct, and there is nothing for you to fix here.

On the other hand, New York does recognize the HSA deduction so you normally have nothing to do here.

"The form lists HSA $660 in life 15 column A as Federal Other Income" - by any chance, is $660 listed on line 8 in Schedule 1 (1040)?

If you are an Online user, you can see your 1040 and its three schedules at any time by doing the following: on the left, click on Tax Tools, then click on Tools underneath, then click on View Tax Summary in the center, then click on Preview My 1040 back on the left.

Otherwise, I don't know why the NY return would even report this.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

State tax filing

Thank you for reading and commenting. I looked at the schedule 1 (1040) form. There is nothing listed for other income. It's blank. Schedule 1 (1040) only lists my total income.

I looked at the entire 1040 form. No mention of 660 anywhere.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

State tax filing

The $660 that was in box 12 on your W-2 with a code of W should be on form 8889 on line 9 - employer contributions.

If it is not, then you have another issue...

As for New York City, it would take me quite a while to build a test case for this to even see that worksheet (and today is not a good day for that), but this amount should not be added to City income (if that is what it is doing). Feel free to zero it out if you can, and document whey you did it for your own records. 

The HSA contribution should not be an adjustment (either way) to federal income (or state income).

State tax filing

@BillM223so far you are helping me get on the right track. I checked Form 8889 line 9 and $660 is there. No additional issues. Any advice on the best way to zero it out so I can still e-file? The error is preventing me from e-filing with TurboTax. First time I've ever encountered HSA and issues like this.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

State tax filing

I assume that you are using the CD/download software, because you said "This total other income cell I can modify but it shows $660. "

So can you not modify that cell to zero? Or modify a cell with -660 if you have to to get the addback to income to be zero.

Whatever you have to do, write what you did down and stick it your tax file so that the the City ever writes you wondering where this -660 came from, you can tell them that you were having to compensate for a possible software issue.

State tax filing

I filed for an extension as a side-note.

I am using the web desktop version, not the downloaded/CD version. However, the web version still gives me an opportunity to correct the total other income cell. There is a strange loop that occurs when I see the error and try to correct it by applying -660.

Here is what happens:

1. I see the error and able to modify to -660

2. Click continue because the error has been resolved and it takes me to confirm all of my information

3. Performs another smart check and takes me back to the error OR

3. I try to file it ...

4. It fails and says "Your transmission didn't go through. We could not e-file your return for the following reason: We're sorry, we have found errors in your return that prevent us from efiling. Please return to the "Review" tab to resolve these issues."

I agree there is likely a bug. Is there really no way to resolve this issue and e-file?

New York requires that returns MUST be e-filed if a software is used to prepare a return.