I live in PA and work in WV. Do I need to file a WV state tax form? Turbo Tax seems to be confused as I work through their flow sheets if I owe WV state taxes or not.

I worked for a PA based hospital from Jan-April and then a different WV based hospital from May-Dec. As far as I can tell WV state taxes were not taken out.

State tax filing

No, if you live in PA and work in West Virginia, your employer can withholds and remits the income tax for your resident state. Because of the reciprocal agreement, you pay taxes to Pennsylvania. It is your responsibility to notify your employer that you are a resident of PA and that your employer should withhold PA tax from your pay and not the income tax of the reciprocal state.  If your out-of-state employer did not withhold PA tax, you file and report your compensation as taxable income to PA and pay the tax.

You can delete the West Virginia return if your only WV income was from working.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
BNAL
Returning Member

State tax filing

I live in PA and work in WV, the company only took out WV states taxes. Do I need to file a form with WV to receive the amount back that I paid to them..... and how do I file and Pay PA state taxes

DeanM15
Expert Alumni

State tax filing

Yes, you are going to have to file an IT 140 NRS with the State of West Virginia to get back the money withheld. 

You are going to have to file in both PA and WV this year. You can file both returns through TurboTax. If you have not yet informed your employer that you are a PA resident, I would do so now. 

Essentially you are going to have a PA return with a large balance due and a WV return with a large refund. If you file early, the payment will not be due until April 15th so you will have your refund from WV before you have to pay PA.

You can find out more information about PA taxes and the reciprocity agreement here. Here is the IT 140 NRS form here

aBNAL

State tax filing

What state do I pay income tax in? I live in pa with tax was takin out but wv says anything over a 183 days makes you a resident? Do I pay in both states?

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

State tax filing

Pennsylvania and West Virginia have a reciprocity agreement- so if you live in PA and your only WV income are your wages, you do not have to file in West Virginia (if you had the PA taxes withheld).  The West Virginia 183 day rule does nto apply in this situation.

@Aostronic17

Mel67

State tax filing

I have the same situation.  I've put in my checking account info to pay the PA taxes and Turbo Tax will not let me delete the WV form.  It insists that I owe WV also.  HELP!!!!

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

State tax filing

See How do I delete my state return in TurboTax Online ...

@Mel67