Do I pay taxes on unemployment if I make under 12000 a year

I live in Maryland and have never paid taxes because I only make 3,000 a year. This is because I am a dependent and in college. Do I have to pay taxes on my unemployment if I still continue to make less than 12000?

State tax filing

These are the filing requirements for A dependent. 

If a child has both earned and unearned income, he or she must file a return for 2019if: unearned income is over $1,100. earned income is over $12,200, or. earned and unearned income together total more than the larger of (1) $1,100, or (2) total earned income (up to $11,850) plus $350.

Unemployment income is unearned income. You will also be subject to Kiddie tax if unearned income is greater than $2,200.  TurboTax should handle that for you. Be sure to check the box saying that you can be claimed by someone else when you complete your return. 

BillM223
Expert Alumni

State tax filing

Unemployment income is taxable on the federal return and in most states - see this TurboTax FAQ

However, whether or not you will actually owe tax on your income is a question of facts and circumstances. Please go to this IRS Tax Assistant and see if you even need to file a federal return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"