MASSACHUSETTS TAX EXEMPT PENSION

As I'm going thru the state portion of my return with Turbo Tax Deluxe  I come upon "Pension Adjustments-Federally Taxable". I entered from my 1099R the amount that's listed in block  2 a :Taxable amount into the blank box  "non-taxable Massachusetts Pension".  My 1st question am I doing it correctly? Then it indicates the following message: After manually entering an exclusion amount above, you will not be eligible to electronically file your Massachusetts tax return. My question to that is why?

aeroman88

State tax filing

How do I enter to have my Massachusetts Teacher's Tax Exempt Pension on my Federal return so that it is exempt on my Mass State Tax Return?

State tax filing

As you are going through the state portion of your return with Turbo Tax Deluxe  you may come upon "Pension Adjustments-Federally Taxable".

State tax filing

I'm aware of that. But you didn't read my question to what I was asking?

State tax filing

@anthony340  I was replying to the other person.

I assumed you figured it out since your original post is old.

State tax filing

where do I enter that my federal pension is Massachusetts tax exempted

RaifH
Expert Alumni

State tax filing

If your pension is exempt from Massachusetts state tax, you will be prompted after entering the 1099-R for the distribution. To do this:

1. Verify your 1099-R entry under Federal > Wages & Income > Retirement Plans and Social Security > IRA, 401 (k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R)
  2. If this is a tax-exempt pension in the state of Massachusetts, it should fall under one of the categories of Qualified government retirement distributions listed on the Where is your distribution from? screen.
  3. Continue through the remaining 1099-R screens.

If you do it this way, the system should automatically exempt it on the state return. If you entered everything correctly the first time, you may want to try to delete it and re-enter the information. 

@126vitus48

State tax filing

where do I put my teacher exempt material on my return 

LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

State tax filing

To enter your teacher (educator) expenses in TurboTax you would:

1. Click on Federal 
  2. Click on Deductions & Credits 
  3. Click on See All Tax Breaks 
  4. Scroll to Employment Expenses and click Show More
  5. Click Start or Revisit next to Teacher (educator) Expenses

Click on this link for Tax Tips for Teachers: Deducting Out-of-Pocket Classroom Expenses.

The Educator Expense Deduction allows eligible educators to deduct up to $300 worth of qualified expenses from their income for 2023 and 2024.

Qualified expenses include purchases such as:

• Books and classroom supplies
  • Technology and computer software used in the classroom during the process of teaching students

Please click here for additional information on Educator Expenses.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"