Husband Owe Back Federal & State Taxes

I am a housewife who didn't work and filed joint with spouse. I was ignorant to how things worked when you file joint, plus I was going through depression trying to raise our children by my self, so I would just sign the tax returns. BIG MISTAKE‼️ My spouse started owing IRS and I DID NOT KNOW HE WASN'T PAYING HIS BACK TAXES over the years.‼️ Fast forward it is time for me to claim my social security benefits (btw I'm older than he is). IRS is now taking 15% every month of my benefits (they came after me). Also, he owed state taxes, he didn't pay, they sent a notice that they would not renew the registration on his truck. He made payment arrangements and made several payments (I believe just to get the truck renewed) and stopped. The state is now sending me notices saying they will garnish my personal bank account and my income. I AM HOT AS HELL BY NOW‼️ I am 66 years old and have a terminal illness. The ONLY income I have is the rest of my social security benefits. A little personal backstory: my spouse is the bread winner and never put money in my hand regularly, you know, money just for myself in case I needed something over the 29 1/2 years we've been married.  If I needed anything I had to ask fo it. He may throw me $20 here and there over the years. He gets paid every week. I use to work for the federal government years ago, I retired in 1995.  One of our daughters was  and still is sickly, in and out of the hospital since she was born in 1993. I would always handle that, going in the hospital with her over the years. What I'm saying is I didn't know he would leave me out there as the scapegoat. All I have to support myself and pay my mounting medical bills is my monthly social security. I FEEL SOOOOO STUCK AND DON'T KNOW HOW TO GET FROM UNDER THIS MESS‼️  Is there any help for me?😭

BillM223
Expert Alumni

State tax filing

I am very sorry for your situation. However, I think you are beyond simple tax issues and have moved into legal issues, which we cannot address here.

You appear to be on the hook for debts that perhaps you do not owe. If the state has threatened to levy your bank account and income, I would encourage you to secure the services of a tax attorney who may be able to work something out (or perhaps even get the state to drop the levy against you).

Good luck.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

State tax filing

Thank you BillM223. I appreciate your response. Would you happen to know of a "pro bono" tax attorney, as money for me is an issue? Thanking you or anyone in advance for providing any information. God Bless.?

BillM223
Expert Alumni

State tax filing

1. Please see this link from the American Bar Association - https://www.americanbar.org/groups/legal_services/flh-home/flh-free-legal-help/

2. If there is a law school in your area, contact them as many have programs which allow law students to help offer free or low-cost legal services.

3. In the worst case, search for the Bar Association in your state (e.g., Texas Bar Association) - it is likely that their website has a link to help you find legal aid (Texas does).

Good luck!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"