Anonymous
Not applicable

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I was employed all 2019 by NC company while living in FL. My company withheld state income tax for Q1, then stopped. Do I owe more NC state income tax or is a refund due?

VictorW9
Expert Alumni

State tax filing

If you lived the whole year in Florida then you are only liable to pay Florida state income tax of which there is none. So, it doesn't matter whether the company is a North Carolina company or a company of any other state, you shouldn't have to pay any other state income taxes. In this case, you will have to file a nonresident North Carolina state return to get back the taxes that were incorrectly withheld.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Anonymous
Not applicable

State tax filing

Thank you Victor. It is still confusing to me what qualifies as "North Carolina income" when completing the forms. For the refunds to calculate correctly (i.e. return the withheld NC tax) I need to tell TurboTax I had no NC income. In other words, none of my income should be allocated to NC. Does that sound right? That NC gets no tax on my salary even though the company is there? 

MayaD
Expert Alumni

State tax filing

Yes, you should enter 0 for NC income.That way you won't owe any taxes to NC and you will receive back all the taxes withheld. You don't need to pay taxes in the state where your company is located or headquartered.

State tax filing

Hello MayaD,

when you say enter 0 for income from North Carolina, in what form should I do that?

the North Carolina non-resident tax form?

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

State tax filing

Yes, you would file a nonresident North Carolina income tax return if you did not live or work in NC but had NC tax withheld by mistake @acaral.

Since you income will not match what is on your W-2, consider sending your return by mail with a note explaining the mistake. Use certified mail with proof of delivery when sending tax returns so you have proof your forms were mailed and received.

State tax filing

Hello Ernie,

thanks for your response.

Just to confirm, file a NC nonresident form and put "0" as money gain in NC?

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

State tax filing

I doublechecked how TurboTax handles North Carolina. 

To exclude NC wages, go to the Wages Allocation screen and change the status to Not NC Source Income. The refund box should change to be the same amount as NC tax withheld (because you are getting it all back.

On Nonresident Income Allocations, either leave blank or enter $0 for North Carolina Income While Nonresident.