rwilleke

Underpayment Penalty for Minnesota - Can't e-File

I have a $42 underpayment due on my Minnesota state taxes.  My federal and state tax returns both were reviewed without errors.  When I attempted to e-file (and after I paid the $24.99 state e-file fee), TurboTax reports that I cannot e-file the MN forms and puts  me in a form checking loop sending me back to the underpayment amount on Schedule M-15:

- Transmit Returns Now

- We Need to Make One More Check

- back to underpayment amount (and continues this three step loop)

How do I move forward to e-file my federal forms and get a refund on state e-file because I need to mail the MN forms?

Thanks ...

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

State tax filing

To only e-file the federal return indicate that in the filing interview and complete that process.  Then go back and download/print your state return.  You will need to contact a phone representative to get your state e-file fee refunded.  Here is a link to use.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
GStevens

State tax filing

Your answer fits my situation, but your link doesn't take me to a page where I can contact a phone representative.  The "contact us" page won't let me enter a question, and doesn't list any phone numbers. 

jillinmn

State tax filing

Yes, this happened to me too a couple of years ago.  I had to call Turbo Tax to get my filing fee refunded. They were very nice about this and did it quickly and efficiently.  That said, they really need to change their software to tell us BEFORE they take our money that we CANNOT file because of the penalty.  

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

State tax filing

@GStevens Please use the link below to contact a TurboTax phone agent.

What is the TurboTax phone number?

State tax filing

This just happened to me - I got all the way through the payment process, only to be told I couldn't e-file my Minnesota return.

Imagine discovering this near tax deadline, and having to print / mail. 

State tax filing

Continues to be a problem in March 2022. Why hasn't Turbo Tax corrected this issue after two years? Tell us before we pay the E-file fee that an underpayment penalty requires Minnesota filers to print and mail. Calling Turbo Tax only provides a reference to this discussion forum. I will just dispute the charge using my bank. 

MoniqueLO_
Intuit Alumni

State tax filing

In this public forum, we are provided with form availability information, but not an explanation as to why certain forms are not supported through E-file.

If you have any questions about a refund, please feel free to contact Customer Support so they can assist you. You will want to use the keywords billing issues when you call so you get to the right person.

@ScottMN

cweber584

State tax filing

Apparently this has not been fixed for 2022 tax returns?  I cannot e-file my return.

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

State tax filing

This is still an issue in Minnesota.  If you have an underpayment penalty as part of your return Minnesota won't accept your efile.  

@cweber584 

State tax filing

It might be acceptable to not be able to e-file, but why find that out AFTER you pay the e-file fee, and then have call customer service to ask for a refund?    Maybe it would be better to dispute the charge via the credit card company; TT might pay more attention.

State tax filing

I also ran into this issue. It showed that I owed a small penalty (<$50) for underpayment of tax, therefore, it wouldn't let me file electronically. However, when I tried to switch to printing the return, it kept me in a loop of need to "fix" M15 (underpayment calculation form), and not allowing me to file electronically. Finally, I adjusted the amount shown as an "error" which was my underpayment penalty amount, on M15, line 22, to zero. My assumption was then MN would catch the error and bill me for the small underpayment "miscalculation." So then I was able to file both the federal and state forms electronically.  I then viewed the completed tax forms later and, it in fact, changed the underpayment penalty from $0 and instead showed the correct underpayment penalty and was filed correctly. So, in the end, the error message that caused all the problems was for naught. I was able to file Minnesota with the correct underpayment penalty even after I had changed it to an incorrect amount! This appears to be a bug in Turbo Tax.