Trying to ammend, keeps looping back, says i have to change federal from direct debit but there is nowhere to do that. unable to file or even print and mail.

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

State tax filing

Try these steps -

If you filed, it is like dropping it into a mailbox - you cannot get it back.

You'll have to wait until your return is either accepted or rejected.

• If rejected, you can make any necessary changes.
  • If accepted, you'll need to amend your return
  • To avoid unnecessary delays, do not amend until your original return has been fully processed.  You will need to print and mail the amendment.  
  • Allow 8-12 weeks for processing.

See this TurboTax FAQ for help with amending.

You can check the status of your amended return here, but allow 3 weeks after filing for it to show up.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

State tax filing

thank you for the response - my issue is in turbo tax it will not let me print the federal amendment, it keeps looping back and telling me i have it set to direct debit but there is nowhere to change it. I just want to print and mail the federal. 

State tax filing

There's no direct debit or direct deposit with the amended tax return.

You must not be in the Amendment process after all.

State tax filing

I appreciate the help - but unfortunately I am in the amendment process. Spent almost an hour with a turbo tax person going through it and they were also unable to get me out of the loop or even print out the amended returns. For some reason I'm stuck with direct debit for federal and can't undo it which then just loops me back to the  ready to file screen over and over. We tried adding a state to back door the setup which did not  work and i tried deleting the amendment and doing it over which also did not help. All i wanted to do was add a 1099 that came in late. Thank you again for the help and any assistance is greatly appreciated.

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

State tax filing

It depends. Amended returns must be mailed. I recommend mailing the federal and state (if applicable) tax returns via certified mail in order to trace when they were received.

Try these resources below for options to adjust your account. Otherwise, you could potentially adjust the paper copy:

How do I change my transferred direct deposit information?

How do I change my refund method?

What if I entered the wrong account for direct debit, or my account has insufficient funds?

@vanksullivan

TeresaAnd1973
Returning Member

State tax filing

We ended up having to click on the "no" radio button and then uncheck the elect entry box and it went through