Documents to file with CA state tax return

My son is a college student in Ohio and earned income there.  He will claim California as his state of residence.  Turbotax printed a copy of is Ohio tax return with the California tax return documents.

Should this be mailed (together with his Federal Return) to the CA Franchise Tax Board?

Thank you

VictorW9
Expert Alumni

State tax filing

If he had changed his residence to Ohio for the tax year, then he doesn't have to file a California return. He could have continued as a California resident and non resident for Ohio being he is a student and his home state can still be considered to be California.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
VictorW9
Expert Alumni

State tax filing

Also, answering to your question: please mail both returns along with the federal to the California franchise board.

State tax filing

He will remain a CA resident.  He sold some stock and earned money working.  He will be filing a CA tax return and a nonresident tax return for Ohio.  

Among the documents that Turbotax printed with his CA tax return is a copy of his Ohio return.  Should the Ohio documents be included with the CA tax return?

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

State tax filing

There should be a page of Filing Instructions that printed with the California return detailing what needs to be mailed and where to mail it.

State tax filing

Thank you.

At the risk of appearing foolish . . .

The CA Return instructions direct me to enclose Federal Return and W-2s. The Ohio Return is not listed among the documents to be included.

So even though TurboTax printed it with my CA Return "packet", I do not submit the Ohio Return