2018 tax changed for state (NY)

Last year - 2018 - I used Turbotax Deluxe to file Federal and state (New York) taxes.  Turbotax determined that I owed New York $355., which I paid.

This year, while working with Turbotax on 2019 taxes, I wanted to check some entries for 2018 for comparison purposes and found much to my surprise that Turbotax now showed that New York owed me a refund of $362 on my 2018 taxes.  Federal taxes did not change.

What happened?  Why did Turbotax not notify me if there were changes?  Do I now file an amended return with NY to obtain the 2018 refund?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

State tax filing

Follow-up:  on examining my 2018 NY State return as filed and comparing it with Turbotax's amended return I discovered that initially Turbotax did not add spouse's pension and annuity income exclusion to New York subtractions.  So now I will file an amended return.

The question is:  if Turbotax belatedly recalculated my NYS 2018 tax return, why was I not informed?  Why was this subtraction not found in the first instance?

This leaves me disappointed with Turbotax, and will make me concerned going forward on using Turbotax for more of my returns.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

State tax filing

You should have received an email telling you to check your return once we learned of the issue. You do need to send an amended return in your case. Please make sure your email is up to date with us. I am very sorry for the frustration.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post