Why does Turbo Tax show an error in the Special Name Control in the Fiduciary Information Worksheet?

KatrinaB48
Expert Alumni

State tax filing

What state are you filing in?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

State tax filing

New Jersey

MonnaJean

State tax filing

Turbo tax auto-inputs the first four letters of the entity. The IRS uses the first four letters of the last name (or first two or three if  shorter last name).

I found this site helpful because it explains how the Special Name Control is established:

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/how-your-name-control-is-assigned

State tax filing

I had to call The IRS Business Specialty line for this answer and I didn't believe it but it worked.  TTax would not allow me to file form 1041.  The IRS guy said to put in the first 4 letters of the Trust or Estate.  This is the official name you put in when you applied for the EIN# for your Estate or Trust.  It WORKED!!  and TurboTax finished filing my return electronically.  Leave it to IRS to through in a secret code that you would never guess.

State tax filing

My estate return is all ready to send electronically, but there is an error in the worksheet.  ESTA is on it.  What does that mean and what control should I enter.  I am in Virginia

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

State tax filing

It would be best to give us a call here, so we can look at the return. @myersjb111 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"