lin0801

City tax refund detroit status

When should I expect my Detroit tax refund?

BillM223
Expert Alumni

State tax filing

Detroit City taxes are being handled by the Michigan State Treasury Department. 

Scroll down this webpage at the Michigan Treasury to "Detroit City Taxes" and call that number. They may be able to give you information on your refund or point you in the right direction for that information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

State tax filing

I e-filed my state of MI return which includes the city of Detroit return. I paid the state what I owed but I should receive a refund from the city of Detroit. When I called the number, they don't have a record of my return being filed.  TT shows State of MI accepted my return.  What should I do?

State tax filing

TurboTax does not receive any information about your return or your refund after you file, so no one at TT knows about your city refund.   Did you prepare a Detroit return when you prepared the MI return?  If so it would have been part of the process when you prepared the state return--but you would have to take some extra steps while in the state program.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/returns-and-forms/help/which-city-tax-returns-can-i-do-in-the-turb...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

State tax filing

As far as I can tell, I did everything correctly. I have the print out of my city return. I have the notice that MI accepted the state return. MI says there is no record of my city return.  Any other ideas on what to do?

State tax filing

If you have the city return then have you tried contacting the city to see how to submit it directly to Detroit?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

State tax filing

Thanks. Guess that is what I need to do next. Such a bummer that this is so complicated.