neutron56

Where do I enter my 529 contribution deduction on my New York return. I do not see it on any of the items (and it is not part of the college tuition deduction section)?

IreneS
Intuit Alumni

State tax filing

Contributions to state 529 plans are not deductible on the federal return.  However, they are deductible on your NY return.

1. When you are in your NY return, continue to the screen Changes to Federal Income.  [See Screenshot #1, below.]
  2. In the Education adjustments section, click on the Start/Revisit box next to New York 529 college savings account activity.
  3. On the next screen, Enter New York 529 Contributions, enter your 529 contributions and click Continue.  [Screenshot #2]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

neutron56

State tax filing

Actually I found the answer by looking a bit closer.   It is the first item under changes to federal income.    "Education Adjustments"

State tax filing

Hi, we forgot to file last year's 529 contribution (2019) to the state. Is there way to file 2019 now? thanks

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

State tax filing

You can't deduct the 2019 contributions on your 2020 return.  You can, however, amend your 2019 state return to include the deduction.  Please see this TurboTax Help article for instructions:  I need to amend my state return

@cjhilfiger