aubi0017

I'm trying to determine which state is my residency. I am living in Florida and attending Graduate School here, which I am paid a stipend (I receive a W2). I have not changed my residency from Minnesota, where I grew up.

DS30

State tax filing

You will be considered a permanent resident of MN if you did not actively change your residence to FL during the 2016 calendar year. Changing residence is determined by intent and would include getting a new driver's license, renting a house/apt, changing voter's registration.

If you remained a permanent resident of MN but were in FL on a temporary basis (going to school in another state is considered a temporary basis) and earned income in FL, you will only need to file an MN resident state income tax return (for all income from all sources including FL income). Since FL has no state income tax related to wage income, you will have no FL filing requirement.

Just make sure to selected "no" to " Did you make money in any other states?" under the Personal Information section in TurboTax (see screenshots)

View solution in original post