State tax filing

@almostfm 

I'm a fellow user--not a tax expert--but I can tell you in general how you can try to delete this form from an Online return if you're sure you don't need it.

First a disclaimer:
I know nothing about California returns at all and nothing about that particular CA Form 3554 .  So you'll have to decide if deleting it is what you want to do.   The steps below may allow you to do so, and may solve your situation if you do not need the Form 3554..   Otherwise, I'll also leave you info below on how to phone TurboTax Support when they open at 5AM Pacific (8AM Eastern).

I assume you have not yet filed your return and know how to get back into the return interview.  If TurboTax thinks you are finished, and there is no longer a "take me to my return" button, you can open the interview back up by clicking on "Add a State".  That doesn't really add one, but opens the interview back up.  NOTE:  IF you have already filed the Federal return, do not make any changes on the Federal side.

• With your return open, in the left menu column click on TAX  TOOLS, then TOOLS.
  • In the Tools window, choose the link "Delete a form."
  • In the list of forms find that particular CA Form 3554 you need to delete.  It will then ask you to confirm. Be careful that you don't delete the wrong form.

Does it let you delete the CA Form 3554 there?    And does it stay gone, or does it regenerate?

If that didn't get rid of it, here's how to reach Customer Support.   TurboTax Support has extended hours on October 15.  They are open 5AM-9PM Pacific (8AM-12 Midnight Eastern.)

FAQ: What is the TurboTax phone number?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

State tax filing

This worked!

State tax filing

This worked for me. For some reason form 3554 did not populate the first attempt but the second time the form populated and I was able to delete it and file my taxes. I used my iPhone and logged in TurboTax through my safari browser. Thanks for the help.

State tax filing

On the 3554 question I put in a 0, instead of leaving it blank. This does not apply to me, I went back in and removed the 0 but it still shows up asking for more information. How do I clear this entry?

State tax filing

@nancylhenry1 

You are posting in an old cluttered thread from last year.  While someone "might" see it here and respond here in this old thread, you'll have greater visibility if you start your own new thread and explain your details there.   If you do, then continue to watch both threads.

If you want to start a thread, click the blue "Ask a Question" button at this page:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/02/202

The question title line has limited space, but there is a box underneath it where you can explain your situation in more detail.  In the title line mention Calif. Form 3554 and your issue to attract someone who may be familiar with it.

Bogie 1

State tax filing

how do i delete form

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

State tax filing

It's OK to delete forms that you know don't apply to your return, or are duplicated or blank.  Here's the general procedure for deleting unwanted forms, schedules, and worksheets in TurboTax Online:

1. Open your return in TurboTax. (To do this, sign in to TurboTax, and select the Take me to my return button.)
  2. In the left sidebar, select Tax ToolsTools.
  3. In the pop-up window Tool Center, choose Delete a form.
  4. Select Delete next to the form/schedule/worksheet and follow the onscreen instructions.

Windows Instructions 

1. Switch to Forms mode.
  2. In the left pane, select the form you want to remove. (if you don't see it, click Open Form at the top).
  3. After the form is generated in the right pane, click the Delete Form button at the bottom of the window.
  4. Follow any on-screen instructions to remove the form or forms.

Mac Instructions

1. Switch to Forms mode.
  2. In the left pane, select the form you want to remove (if you don't see it, click Open Form at the top).
  3. From the Forms menu, select Remove [form name].
  4. Follow any on-screen instructions to remove the form or forms.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Nnaneko

State tax filing

Thank you! This method worked and I can now file my return!

State tax filing

Thank you thank you thank you! I have a Mac and the purchased download version. This was the only trick that solved the problem!

judeka

State tax filing

You saved the day! Thank you!!

*note, on my MacBook, the "forms" icon is on the top left. 

Thank you again!

Moka5z

State tax filing

I just followed this instructions rather than having to delete my California state 2019 taxes in Premier. i went in to Easy step and brought up this form 3554 that was not correct for me. I went to the menu that said i could delete it. I big warning came up that said it was permanent ( yeah) and said yes. so it seems to be gone and when i had Turbo Tax recheck it seemed to be gone! much easier than having to start over. 

carriema

State tax filing

My HERO! THANK YOU!

amitp4748

State tax filing

You are my savior. I was about to quit this Intuit Premier Mac desktop version. Almost spent 30 mins searching everywhere but nothing worked and finally stumbled upon your mac specific solution. You saved my $149. 

Thanks a lot !!

aematkin

State tax filing

None of these boiler plate answers are helpful for those of us using Online Version and already paid for the State.  There is NO option to delete the return and start over.  You can remove the 0; however, this stupid form still populates on the return causing review errors.  THis is clearly a glich in the turbo tax system.  I am a CPA and decided to try to use their online version for my kid who doesn't even need to file a federal but has to file a state to get a refund.  I will never use online again or will I recommend.  I am actually in the process of converting my kid's return into desktop version so I can print the State return there and not have to deal with these errors that aren't my errors at all.  

State tax filing

@aematkin wrote:

None of these boiler plate answers are helpful for those of us using Online Version and already paid for the State.  There is NO option to delete the return and start over.  You can remove the 0; however, this stupid form still populates on the return causing review errors.  THis is clearly a glich in the turbo tax system.  I am a CPA and decided to try to use their online version for my kid who doesn't even need to file a federal but has to file a state to get a refund.  I will never use online again or will I recommend.  I am actually in the process of converting my kid's return into desktop version so I can print the State return there and not have to deal with these errors that aren't my errors at all.  

Yes, the desktop product is a much better product than the Online version, in my opinion as a fellow user, with fewer vagaries (based on problems that I assist with in this forum.)   Plus the desktop software is better for families, since it can prepare multiple Federal returns and multiple state returns (of the same state, which is included in some desktop editions.)   And it has the popular Forms Mode for viewing actual forms during return preparation.

As you mentioned, if your child is not efiling a Federal return, then the state return has to be printed and mailed.  There is no fee to print and mail the state return.

For other users who do efile a state return (such as your own), there is a $20 state efile fee (increases to $25 in March).

This additional caution for perhaps your own state return:    if you efile your state return, it's best to pay the state efile fee upfront with credit/debit card.  If you choose to pay out of your Federal refund (if applicable), there is an additional $40 service fee ($45 for California filers, where it is bundled as "Premium Services.")

As for switching your child's return from Online version to desktop, if you want to download your child's *.tax2020 data file to open it in the 2020 desktop software to continue it, here's how:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/how-do-i-switch-from-turbotax-online-to-th...

Or if you need to speak to TurboTax Support:

Hours are 5AM-9PM Pacific (8AM-12 Midnight Eastern) 7 days/week.

You can use this contact form to get a phone number:
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact