Alan10

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Calfornia HSA Contributions

I contributed into a HSA for 2019 outside of payroll deduction.  I am getting my deduction Federally adjusted upon filing.  When I got to the California returns, it appears that TurboTax might have added what I contributed post tax into income on the California side. It appears that I may have added extra income when that was not the case.  Is this right? How can I take that contribution out on the California side?

HelenC12
Expert Alumni

State tax filing

TurboTax is correct.  Because the state of California does not recognize HSAs, your HSA contributions are not tax deductible for California state income tax.

• Your HSA contribution will be deducted from your gross pay for calculating the federal tax withholdings.
  • It will not reduce your California state income tax withholding.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
public1
Returning Member

State tax filing

I contributed to HSA outside of work.  After I entered the HSA contribution the amount of Fed tax owed decreased, which is great.  Why does the amount of California State tax owed increased by 70%? 

VictorW9
Expert Alumni

State tax filing

Yes, unfortunately, California taxes HSA contributions and the Long Term Capital Gain is considered a contribution.

public1
Returning Member

State tax filing

Hi,

In reply to the CA state tax increased.  This is the first HSA contribution and there is no gain. 

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

State tax filing

California does not allow a deduction for Health Savings Accounts so your contribution is added back to your state income.

@public1