jrose01
Returning Member

19.99 state e-filing

State tax filing

Do you have a question about the 19.99 state efile fee for each state return in the desktop products (CD/download)?

There is no state efile fee when efiling New York state return, and no fee to print and mail a state return.

In desktop products that include a state program, there is an included download of the state program to prepare the state return.  But there is a fee to efile each state return, with the exception of NY state as I mentioned above.

jrose01
Returning Member

State tax filing

Thanks, in Virginia

State tax filing

My efile in Virginia was rejected due to an incorrect AGI (I inserted the # from my 2018 return, yet it keeps rejecting it). Now I need to mail the forms. I should be refunded the Virginia $19.99 fee for efiling since I could not complete my taxes this way.

State tax filing

@JDNICHOLSON wrote:

My efile in Virginia was rejected due to an incorrect AGI (I inserted the # from my 2018 return, yet it keeps rejecting it). Now I need to mail the forms. I should be refunded the Virginia $19.99 fee for efiling since I could not complete my taxes this way.

This is mainly a user community forum, and nothing account-specific can be handled here.  Here's how you can reach TurboTax Support for assistance:

Hours are 5AM-9PM Pacific (8AM-12 Midnight Eastern), 7 days/week

You can use this contact form to get a phone number, or it may schedule a call back:
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

State tax filing

@ JDNICHOLSON 

I assume you efiled your Federal return OK.   Does Virginia want your 2018 Federal AGI or your 2018 state AGI?

Did you try to seek help from the Virginia Tax agency to see if they can tell why your 2018 AGI is rejecting?  Maybe they can help you troubleshoot or tell you a way to check what they show for it on their end.  Here's their contact info:

https://www.tax.virginia.gov/contact-us

Or before giving up, you might try to efile the state return with a 2018 AGI of 0 just in case that works.  I know for a Federal return that will work if the 2018 Federal return was filed real late in the year (November or later).  And I've seen it work before apparently for no obvious reason.  It can't hurt to try.

State tax filing

Why did it say 19.99 in the product, but then charged 24.99 when it transferred to pay online? 

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

State tax filing

You can review your fees by following the instructions below.  

1. After signing in to TurboTax, open or continue your return.
  2. Select Tax Tools on the left side of the screen and then Tools.
  3. A Tools Center box will pop up on your screen.
  4. Select the My Fees box on the right.

If your TurboTax fees are higher than expected, you can reduce them by removing add-ons:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

State tax filing

@jamesstockdale wrote:

Why did it say 19.99 in the product, but then charged 24.99 when it transferred to pay online? 

In early filing season there is a 19.99 fee to efile a state return in the desktop software (CD/download).  Prices for all TurboTax products increased on March 1, as they typically do when the early-season pricing ends.   The current state efile fee is 24.99.   Unfortunately, it sounds like they haven't updated what is displayed in the product until you get to the payment screen.

There is no fee to print and mail the state returns.