kirwhite

What is a MO-A TP Kansas City/St. Louis Refund?

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

State tax filing

It is a Form used when part of the previous year's state refund is in your federal income. 

So if you entered a 1099-G in your federal 1040 for a state refund you received last year, this forms subtracts it out for the state return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

State tax filing

I got this as well, when attempting to file my 2019 MO-A Form with TurboTax Online.

The State Income Tax Refund Smart Worksheet screen showed zeros for "Total State and Local Refunds from 2018" and "Remaining State and Local Refunds from 2018", so I entered a zero in "Minus any Refund from 2018 Kansas City and/or St. Louis".

I think TurboTax Online just doesn't handle local taxes as elegantly as it could, and the programmers missed this.

Samsungs1

State tax filing

I am struggling trying to get Missouri Taxes to pass with no errors and it doesn't let me.  What are they looking for and where do I find the information they are exactly looking for

Samsungs1

State tax filing

So I can't file Missouri Taxes because they jacked up ?.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

State tax filing

What is the error you are getting that is stopping you from filing? Also at what point in the return are you at when the error occurs? @Samsungs1

barker42

State tax filing

I am getting this error as well. This shows up at the end of the Missouri state review when TurboTax runs Smart Check.

My situation is this:

• I'm a non-resident of Missouri but work in Kansas City, MO
  • Last year I did not have a MO refund
  • I filed RD-109NR for KC local tax refund for working virtually

The smart check doesn't like that I have 0 for last year's Total State and Local Refund for 2020, but I have a positive value for Refund from 2020 KC/St. Louis. The message says "TP-Kansas/St Louis Refund should not exceed the prior year state and local tax refund reported as taxable on your Federal return." The value I have entered for my refund from KC is less than the local taxes to MO on my W2. So I am really confused on why this is an error. You can continue forward without smart check to proceed, so this is not stopping me, but obviously as a non-tax expert, it would feel better if this was not flagged as an issue. 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

State tax filing

This is what I read: you had a local refund because you worked virtually in KC.  Let's pretend $5 for example. You had no state refund, $0. Your state and local refund ($5 + $0= $5) is less than your local refund, $5. Somehow you have a zero for your state and local refund. That does not make sense. Go back through your entries and correct your state and local refund so the error is gone.

@barker42

State tax filing

running into the same issue.   No state of MO refund but a refund from KCMO.   KCMO issued a 1099-G which I input into the federal returns which carried over to the MO returns.   I'm not sure how to correct the numbers because the refund I received from KCMO is always going to be larger than the refund I received from MO.   Unless i'm not understanding this correctly.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

State tax filing

I have inputted a KC w2 and 1099-G from KCMO and am not able to reproduce your error. You can send us a “diagnostic” file that has your “numbers” but not your personal information.  If you would like to do this, here are the instructions: 

If you are online, go to tax tools>tools > share file with agent > 6 digit number pops up.

If on desktop, go to online >send tax file to agent > number pops.

Reply with the 6 digit # here and @AmyC please

@kbrahlins

State tax filing

reference # 990637 @AmyC 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

State tax filing

Okay! It all makes sense. The program pulls the state and local refund from federal sch 1 since that is where any taxable refund goes. You have no taxable state and local refund on federal so the MO box is blank.

Your MO return has form MO-A which subtracts out taxable MO refunds. It can't subtract out taxable refunds because there are not any.

When the review shows the local tax, change the box to zero since none of it should be subtracted from your MO income.

The review goes through and your audit risk shows.

You can file!

@kbrahlins 

Lg58514

State tax filing

Smart check will not let me file electronically.  Asking me to check the refund and should not exceed prior year state and local tax refund as reported as taxable income on your Federal return.  It doesn’t and matches 100%. What is the issue?  Form Mo-A: TP Kansas/StLouis.

BrittanyS
Expert Alumni

State tax filing

For this rejection, you must verify if the state or local tax refund was included on your Federal Return.  For your tax refund to be taxable at a federal level, you must have itemized the previous year.  If you did not itemize, your entry for this section would be $0.  If you did itemize, you would only include the taxable amount on the return.

@Lg58514 

Lg58514

State tax filing

That did not work.   I did itemize and I entered what my state refund was and it would not let me electronically file.  I ended up putting zero which is what I did last year and it sounds like that was wrong.  Is there an issue then with Turbo Tax?