MEMedic

Cost to E-File State Taxes?

State tax filing

Online versions: Price per state is $44.99 with free e-file. 

CD/Download versions: Additional fees apply for e-filing state returns ($24.99). E-file fees do not apply to New York state returns.

State tax filing

how much is total cost to Efile?

$44.95 plus $24.95?

State tax filing

No.  Those are fees for 2 different things.  

If you are using the Online web version each state is 44.99 to prepare.  It is free to efile state.  That is in addition to the federal fee for the version you are using.  

If you are using the Desktop CD or Download program installed on your computer you can efile 5 federal returns for free and you can print and mail state for free or it is 24.99 to efile state.

Then if you want the fees deducted from a federal refund there is an EXTRA 39.99 Pay with Refund fee.

State tax filing

@fereshteh a wrote:

$44.95 plus $24.95?

No.

$44.95 is the price for a state return in the Online versions which includes state e-file.

$24.99 is the price for a state e-file in the desktop (CD/Download) versions.

State tax filing

The cost to e-file in California is $19.99 according the TurboTax version I used.    I just e-filed but you charged me 29.99.  Why?  Isn't this false advertising and don't you owe me $10?  I will take it in credit for next year's TurboTax.

Thanks,

Owen Kubal

State tax filing

Sorry it just went up to 24.99 today March 1, 2020.   You saw 24.99 right?  Not 29.99.

See this thread I explained it with a screen shot

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/re-amount-charged-for-state-filing/01/1254662 

State tax filing

And FYI - 

But there will be a delay in Desktop program between March 1 when the price goes up and the next time the program update comes out, usually on Thursdays.  It will show the 19.99 price but you be charged 24.99.

Ahitsky44

State tax filing

In Michigan, saying the cost is $19.99 + state tax (which is 6% or $1.20) and then charging $24.99, is called "bait and switch" and will be reported to the Michigan Attorney General's office and the Better Business Bureau.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

State tax filing

Correct, the price does adjust throughout the season. Had you paid for the return at the lower price, there would be no additional fee.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"