chris111

What is a "fee-basis state or local government official"? I do consulting for the state government but get paid through an organization that is paid by the state.

My 1099-MIsc is from the organization contracted by the state but my consulting work is with a state agency.  Largely I work at the state agency office.  Can I be considered a fee-basis state official?  I see my deductions for travel and home office would only count this year if I say I'm a state official.  I have taken these deductions in the past but with the new cap on deductions, they would not help me unless I say I'm a state govt official.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

State tax filing

You are not a fee-basis state official. A fee-basis government official is someone who is compensated by collecting fees for his or her services, rather than being paid a salary or wages.

State tax filing

Example:  Health Agent or often in smaller municipalities the Building and Electrical Inspectors.
If this posted response is useful to you, please click on the upraised hand in the lower left of this post. Thank you. Scruffy Curmudgeon--PFFM/ IAFF, retired FireFighter/Paramedic - Locals 718/30, Veteran USAR O3 AIS/ASA '65-'67

NOT INTUIT EMPLOYEE
USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 - O3

- Just donating my time
**Say Thanks by clicking the thumb icon in the lower left corner -it means nothing but makes those than answer feel wanted.

State tax filing

If you are not an employee of the state or local government, but instead employed by a consulting company, the discussion of "fee basis" and the rest do not apply to you.
If this posted response is useful to you, please click on the upraised hand in the lower left of this post. Thank you. Scruffy Curmudgeon--PFFM/ IAFF, retired FireFighter/Paramedic - Locals 718/30, Veteran USAR O3 AIS/ASA '65-'67

NOT INTUIT EMPLOYEE
USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 - O3

- Just donating my time
**Say Thanks by clicking the thumb icon in the lower left corner -it means nothing but makes those than answer feel wanted.
ptmnotary

State tax filing

If you are paid as a contractor, i.e. 1099-Misc, then your expenses can be deducted.

fssbillk

State tax filing

As a self-employed person, use Form 8829 and Schedule C (not Schedule A for "employees") to deduct home office expenses.

vikki413

State tax filing

Can law enforcement or professional firefighters use this option for unreimbursed expenses such as required supplies (boots/pants/etc) purchased for the job, but not paid by the department?  Thanks.

TomD8
Level 15

State tax filing

@vikki413 --

If you're a W-2 employee, your unreimbursed business expenses are not deductible on your federal tax return.  Some states may allow that deduction on your state tax return.  I believe those states are Alabama, Arkansas, California, Hawaii, Minnesota, New York, and Pennsylvania. 

https://blog.mgallp.com/can-you-deduct-unreimbursed-employee-expenses-these-states-might-let-you

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
vikki413

State tax filing

That is what I thought, but I wanted to double check....  Thanks.