If I worked in two states, can I e-file federal and one state while mailing another state?

DianeW
Expert Alumni

State tax filing

You an E-file up to five different states in TurboTax Online, but you certainly have the option of printing a second state and mailing it.  See the information below for E-file.  

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3420559

TurboTax will provide all the instructions, just be sure the state forms for your state have achieved final approval.  You will know if the state return will not fully process yet.

State tax filing

I tried to this when I did my turbotax for Ca. state return.
I could not do any other states for my non-resident income. I was using the cd/down load software purchssed online which states I can file up to 5 states.  

State tax filing

correction:I tried to do this when I did my turbotax for Ca. state return.
I could not do any other states for my non-resident income. I was using the cd/download software purchased online which advertised I can file up to 5 states.  

State tax filing

You have to purchase the software for additional states-they are not free.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

State tax filing

...and with desktop, you can only e-file 3 states with the one Federal tax file...but any more that are prepared can be paper-filed.  Desktop allows more than 5 to be prepared.....Online has a hard 5 state limit.

Even after purchasing a state software set, Desktop requires and extra fee ($25 now) to e-file any state tax return...but the user can choose to print and mail-file them yourself instead for no extra fee (beyond the State purchase that is).
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
sthees

State tax filing

I am choosing to efile one state but mail the other. When I go to delete the state I wish to mail, my payment due goes up for the efile state

State tax filing

@sthees

You don't delete it.  you just choose to mail-file it

Or  maybe you meant to  say that you were going to prepare it the extra state manually outside of TurboTax on paper and mail it in .

That" might work for the Resident state ( Mail in)...but you can't do that for a non-resident state.  The non-resident state must be maintained in your tax file

but...In order to get a credit for taxes paid to another state (for a situation where you were resident in one state and worked in another)...you need both the resident state and the non-resident state forms in your file.  And for perhaps a couple state (I'm thinking mostly of MO) you need both in your tax file even if you did move between states.

So no...you must maintain both states in your tax file, and pay for Federal and both state's software...even if you choose to mail file either of the state's

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

State tax filing

I have the same question....so let me get this straight.  I have to pay $39.99 more for another state program because I worked out of state for 4 weeks in 2019?  There is no way around it?  That is the same cost as the full Deluxe Program with one state???