What does this mean? "Tax and Interest Deduction Worksheet: Total state and local sales tax rate-1 must be entered."?

datbt

State tax filing

They want to know the State sales tax and/or "local" (City) sales tax combined, i.e. State Sales tax in my state for purchases is 7%, some local areas/cities in this state also add EXTRA sales tax to the state taxes when you buy a product in their area or city. . . . . .  example ;  In my state sales taxes are assessed at the cash register at a 7% rate, some of the cities in our state may add extra sales taxes for purchases: in this example, 2%. If you are in this city, and you purchase an item, you will be assessed the "state sales tax rate" (7%) and the "local/city sales tax rate" (2%) for a "total sales tax rate" of 9%.   Most "local areas/cities" do not add to the state sales tax rate, but if they do, you will pay more sales taxes when you are within their jurisdiction.
AudreyA

State tax filing

Hello gborja1976,

This is asking for the applicable sales tax rate in your primary residence, in order to calculate your potential sales tax deduction.

You can find out the total sales tax rate in your area - including state, county, and local - here: https://www.salestaxhandbook.com/calculator