Can I do itemize deduction on Virginia State tax, but I did the standard on Federal tax?

JohnW15
Intuit Alumni

State tax filing

Unfortunately, you can't.  If you claimed the standard deduction on your federal deduction, you must claim the standard deduction on your Virginia state return. 

Please see “ITEMIZED OR STANDARD DEDUCTIONS” on page 11 of 2017 Form 760 Residential Individual Income Tax Booklet for more information.

leylau152

State tax filing

Is this also the case for Georgia?
Ray A

State tax filing

Yes, it is;  however, be sure and test it in Turbo Tax if your itemized amount is relatively close to the standard. My itemized deductions were just short of the standard of $24,400 and by choosing to itemize, my NET tax refund went up 62%.

State tax filing

Shouldn't Turbo Tax check for you?  My total returns doubled by itemizing on federal rather than the standard (and paying more).  I went back and checked last years and I would have gotten a a significant amount back on my state rather than owing.  Now I need to figure out how to update both my last years returns

KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

State tax filing

How do I amend my 2018 TurboTax Online Return?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
fmoraes
Returning Member

State tax filing

What about if I lived part time in VA and part time in NY?

NY allow to file different deduction.

jq_magoo

State tax filing

Responding to JohnW15 ... still the case with 2021 760 state instructions.  Thx for your post.