jabrawu80

I moved to NYC from NJ in mid-2016, but didn't update my address at my employer until March 2017. Now my W2 shows income earned in NJ. Will I have to pay taxes on it?

I was a full resident of NYC for the entire year of 2017. Because I didn't update the address at my employer, it looks like my home address was in NJ for Jan - March 2017. On my W2, it shows income earned in NJ in Box 15 and 16, and the rest of that row is blank. Will I have to pay taxes on the amount that shows up in the NJ box? I simply just wasn't a resident of NJ and I do not want to have to pay unnecessarily because of a data issue (my employer will not reissue my W2 form).
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

State tax filing

No, if you moved and the W2 was not updated, you do not need to pay the state tax on that reporting error. Be aware that the state of New Jersey will most likely contact you by mail regarding the tax on this income. You will need to provide proof that you moved before Jan. 1, 2017. You may need to send copies of closing papers on a new home or rent receipts and an updated driver's license to prove that you have moved. 

View solution in original post