bmarab1

I had a foster child in my care for over 12 months i tried to file with his social security number and it states that someone has already claimed him on their taxes

SeanE1

State tax filing

In a situation such as yours, where someone else has already filed their tax return claiming your foster child, the IRS may give them the deduction since their return was processed first. The IRS will not let you Efile your tax return since someone else has used your social security number, so the only option would be for you to paper-file your tax return.  To do this, you would select Paper-File instead of Efile when you are in the File stage of completing your return. Then print, sign, date and mail your tax return by April 18, 2017. The IRS will probably investigate who really should be getting the deduction. At that point, they will make a decision based on the criteria below, and the taxpayer who incorrectly claimed the dependent will be assessed any additional taxes and penalties, and required to file an amended return.  If you would like to call the IRS and report this, their number is 1 (800) 829-1040, but they probably will tell you exactly what I have told you.

A parent may claim their child if they meet either the qualifying child or qualifying relative test as outlined below:

Qualifying Child

These 5 tests (all of them), will qualify a child as a dependent:

• Relationship: They must be your child, adopted child, foster-child, brother or sister, or a descendant of one of these (grand or nephew).
  • Residence: They had to live with you in the same residence for more than half the year. Being away at school is considered as living at home. 
  • Age: Must be under age 19 or under 24 and a full-time student for at least 5 months of the year. They can be any age if they are totally and permanently disabled.
  • Support: child did not provide more than half of their own support during the year.
  • Joint Support: The child cannot file a joint return for the year.

Qualifying Relative

These 4 tests (all of them) will qualify a relative as a dependent:

• Not Qualifying Child: They are not your or another taxpayer’s “qualifying child” 
  • Gross Income: Dependent has to earn less than $4,050 in 2016.
  • Total Support: You provide more than half of the total support for the year.
  • Member of Household or Relationship: The person (a friend, girlfriend, non blood relative) must live with you all year as a member of your household or be one of the relatives that doesn’t have to live with you (mother, father, brother, sister, aunt, uncle, stepmother, stepfather, your child, stepchild, foster child, adopted child, etc) Note: this list is not all inclusive.
SMichelle

State tax filing

If I filed my biological children on my return from getting them back and had them for 5months august-December 2020 and the Forster  parents try to file from January to July ..what will happen ..will I be able to still  file them

Hal_Al
Level 15

State tax filing

@SMichelle 

No. You cannot claim them because they lived with you less than half the year.  The foster parents can claim them because they did live with them for more than half the year.

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

State tax filing

Michelle,  Most likely the foster parents will be allowed to claim them for 2020 since they had them for more than 50% of the year.  It is based on who provides more than half the support during the year.  CD

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"