mabw88

Working in Louisiana and living in Arkansas how do I report the Louisiana taxes on my Arkansas State? I don't understand the double tax questions and what that means?

DianeW
Expert Alumni

State tax filing

Once you have completed your Louisiana nonresident return the income and tax reported there will be recorded on your resident return.

While you are in the resident return watch for the "credit for taxes paid to another state". (see attached image)

• Nonresident State:  All income earned while working in this state are required to be taxed.
  • Resident State: All worldwide income is taxed to your resident state.  If you pay tax on the same income to another state then you can choose to receive the "credit for taxes paid to another state".  Your resident state will credit the amount of tax paid to the other state or their own tax that would have applied, whichever is lower.  This eliminates double taxation on your income.

State tax filing

Trying to use turbotax but it seems that while I worked in Louisiana the full year, an paid around 1800 in taxes. I'm trying to figure out why I should have to pay around 1200 additional state taxes to Arkansas where I'm a resident and my family lives. I've rented a place in Louisiana and am paying for an rv in Louisiana. I don't understand the double tax

KatrinaB48
Expert Alumni

State tax filing

You must complete your nonresident state return first in order to prompt the credit for the taxes paid. You will need to delete both state returns and file them in the proper order to calculate the right tax. Please follow the nonresident state directions to do so. This TurboTax FAQ contains directions for deleting your state returns.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"