burnofrug

On my Maryland state tax return it is requesting the MD county that my spouse lived in but we were not married when I lived in Maryland. How do I properly fill this out?

My spouse lived in Washington state the whole year and we didn't get married until October of 2017. I became a Washington resident in May of 2017. She wasn't a resident of Maryland nor did she receive income in Maryland. Should I just leave the county blank as it is only populating Maryland counties in the drop down?
Karen1209

State tax filing

Please see this part-year resident brochure from the MD Comptroller.  Item #7 on page 2 addresses a nonresident spouse.

[Edited 2/7/18|4:58PM]

View solution in original post

Karen1209

State tax filing

@burnofrug
Please see update.
burnofrug

State tax filing

Thank you for that. The next question is, how do I accomplish this via turbotax? I doesn't give me the options to file my state taxes accordingly.
Karen1209

State tax filing

Near the beginning of the state interview, you'll come to a screen that says, "We've recommended a residency status."
  • To enter inTurboTax, please follow the steps below:

• Near the beginning of the state interview, you'll come to a section that says, "We recommend a Residency Status" (see screenshot).  Yours may look a little different.
    • Click Change Residency.
    • Continue through the pages and you will come to Additional Info for Part-Year Residents.
    • Enter your non-MD income and your spouse's income.
    [Edited 2/7/18|7:12PM]
burnofrug

State tax filing

Thank you or the information and those are the steps I was following. My wife was not a Maryland resident, nor lived in Maryland, nor made any income in Maryland for all of the year. When I go to review my state form there is a validation error because it is requiring me to pick a Maryland county for my wife; which is wrong. This goes back to my original question: should I leave the drop down blank for her Maryland county?