Hyj
Returning Member

I moved to PA around July from MD, but I forgot to change my address at work until December 1. How do I go about this for taxes and correcting it? Thanks!

when I do taxes, will the state of MD refund me for the state/city tax that was taken out of my paycheck for the months I didn't live there? And could PA request money for the months I did not pay my taxes to them while I lived there? OR do i have to file separate forms to correct this error? 

TomD8
Level 15

State tax filing

All your income during the time you were an MD resident is taxable by MD.  If your MD withheld taxes exceed the amount you owe, MD will refund the difference.  

All the income you had after becoming a PA resident is taxable by PA.  If you had insufficient PA taxes withheld, you'll have to pay the difference.

For 2017, the year of your move, you'll have to file a part-year resident return in each of the two states.  This reference explains how to do that in TurboTax:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901227-how-do-i-file-a-part-year-state-return

If you're now a PA resident but you still work for an MD employer, you should file MD Form MW507 with your employer, to get them to cease withholding MD taxes.  That's because MD and PA have tax reciprocity with regard to W-2 wages.  (If you work in MD and live in PA, your income is taxable only by PA.)  Here's a link to that form: http://forms.marylandtaxes.com/current_forms/mw507.pdf

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

View solution in original post

Hyj
Returning Member

State tax filing

Hi TomD8, thank you for answering!  quick question: for the refund MD owes me, do I have to fill out an extra form in addition to filing my taxes or do I get the refund after i fill out my taxes?
Hyj
Returning Member

State tax filing

TomD8
Level 15

State tax filing

@Hyj :  No extra form necessary.  Your MD tax return is sufficient by itself.
**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.