xbella81x

I live in Idaho and work in Washington. Do I have to pay state taxes out of my paycheck? And how do I do so?

Idaho resident. Working in Washington. I want to know if I have to have my employer take out Idaho taxes or if I don’t need to worry about anything ?

State tax filing

If you are a resident of Idaho, then the income is subject to Idaho State income tax.

You can ask the employer to take out Idaho state taxes (but they don't have to).

Do your return in TurboTax and then go to "Other tax situations" and to subheading, "Other Tax Forms" then to Form W-4 and estimated taxes, and TurboTax will generate estimated tax forms for you to file for 2019, to avoid penalties from Idaho for under withholding.

billyay007
Returning Member

State tax filing

what do you mean by the employer don't have to take out Idaho state taxes?  I thought Idaho requires the employer to do that.  https://tax.idaho.gov/i-1026.cfm 

I am so confused about some said employers don't and the State website says otherwise.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

State tax filing

What Michael was referring to was that Idaho can't force a company in Washington State to do Idaho withholding. The link you gave is valid on for companies in Idaho, not in other states.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
TomD8
Level 15

State tax filing

An employer is not required to withhold Idaho taxes for an employee working outside Idaho, but they may voluntarily do so.  Talk to your employer’s payroll department.

If you are an Idaho resident, all your income is taxable by Idaho, regardless of where you earn it.  If your employer does not withhold Idaho taxes, you should start making quarterly estimated tax payments to Idaho.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.