BR1967

Where in Illinois Tax Form is screen that says "Here's the income that Illinois handles differently?

Yesterday, I was told that I could find where to record my Illinois 529 Bright Start contributions by looking for "in the first part of the Illinois state section" a screen that says "here's the income that Illinois handles differently." Unfortunately, I have look again and again and don't see that screen. 

IreneS
Intuit Alumni

State tax filing

In the CD/Download versions of TurboTax, please follow these steps:

1. Go back into your Illinois return by clicking on the State Taxes tab.
  2. If you have been in the return before, you will see the screen Your 2018 Illinois taxes are ready for us to check.
  3. In the Income section, click the Edit box.
  4. You will see the screen, Here's the income that Illinois handles differently.
  5. In the Education section, click on the Start/Revisit box next to College savings and prepaid tuition plan contributions.
  6. You can enter your Bright Start information on the next screen, Tell Us About Illinois College Savings Contributions.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
BR1967

State tax filing

I tried to follow these directions. But that window never comes up--I have deleted the Illinois Tax form so that I can start "fresh" but even though I did that, it brings up editing windows as if I have already entered all of the Illinois tax info. All it offers is a list titled "Take a look at Illinois Credits and Taxes" that does not include the college savings and prepaid tuition plan contributions. I have tried numerous times to find that window or anything about it. <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="mailto:brucerocheleau@gmail.com">brucerocheleau@gmail.com</a>
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

State tax filing

Are you using TurtoTax Online or the desktop version (installed on your compute)?   Please tell me what screens appear when you go back into the IL return.
BR1967

State tax filing

I am using desktop Deluxe version on my pc. Yes, I have tried several times to delete the Illinois return so I can get back to what must be the initial screens where the message about "Here's income that Illinois handles differently" though I don't remember seeing that screen the first time I filled in Illlinois return. But instead, it still shows "IL Form in the Forms but has (not done in parentheses) after it. So it doesn't start anew. Instead it tells me my property tax credit (which it already knows) and then brings up a screen that says "Take a look at Il credit and taxes" with following categories under it; (1) Personal....(2) Business Investment (3) Other credits (4) taxes. None of these categories has anything about college savings and prepaid tuition plans.  It seems like the only way I could start Illinois from scratch is to begin a whole new form & thus have to fill in all of my Federal data again which I am not eager to do? Is the IL Bright Savings form in Turbo Tax--if so I could just print that form & fill in the calculations myself??
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

State tax filing

TurboTax takes you back to where you left off in the IL return.  Continue through the ENTIRE IL interview, THEN you can come back to the screen you need!

If you're on the "Take a look at IL credits" screen:
**Click the box "Done with credits and taxes."
**Go through the rest of the screens.
**You should come to the screen, "Your 2018 IL taxes are ready for us to check."
**Follow the steps in my original answer.
BR1967

State tax filing

Turbotax Irene, That did it! Many thanks. As you suggested, I had to complete the state form in order to get back to the right screen! Thanks so much!
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

State tax filing

I'm glad we finally got it figured out!!