Part Year NJ / Part Year PA Resident

I was a part year resident of NJ for ~ half the year and then moved to PA. I worked for the same employer for the entire year and they are located in NJ . When I moved, I informed my employer and they stopped withholding NJ tax and began withholding PA. In this instance, would I only fill out a part year resident return for NJ and a part year resident return for PA? Is a non-resident return required for NJ since PA and NJ have reciprocity? My only income while a resident of NJ was W-2 wages.

State tax filing

Contact Support if you do not receive an answer here today.

What is the TurboTax phone number? (intuit.com)

TomD8
Level 15

State tax filing

You would have to file a non-resident NJ return only if:

1) NJ taxes were mistakenly withheld from your pay after you became a resident of PA; or

2) you had non-W2 earnings from NJ after becoming a resident of PA (such as income from self-employment or rental income from a property located in NJ).

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

State tax filing

A couple of other possible sources of non-W2 income from NJ after you moved to PA:

• Sale of a house (or anything else) in NJ, after you moved.
  • A NJ lottery prize over $10,000.

State tax filing

@TomD8 @rjs 

1) No NJ taxes were withheld after I moved. I notified my employer immediately and they changed over the withholding to PA

2) I did not have any non-W2 earnings. Wasn't self employed, no rental property, didn't sell a house, no gambling winnings, etc, etc

so it seems like a non-resident return is not necessary for NJ